Staling 2002 Cub Cadet 2166 w/16 HP Kohler Command

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just to note the 2166 Tractor 13A-214G100 13A-254G100 is a shaft drive model and yes the engine has to come out to access the ignition coil and wiring.

Threads
Just to note the 2166 Tractor 13A-214G100 13A-254G100 is a shaft drive model and yes the engine has to come out to access the ignition coil and wiring.
I was afraid of that, and It sounds like the coil module may be shutting down when it gets hot. I will figure it out later. I have another mower I can use to finish the mowing season, and will play with the 2166 more in the spring. Like my user name "Ain't no mechanic" I'll probably end up taking it to the repair shop if it turns out to be the coil.$$$$$ ouch! Thanks for the help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you Star for correcting me, I thought it was a vertical engine.

Threads
Thank you Star for correcting me, I thought it was a vertical engine.
I want to thank all you guys for the very helpful information, like I said I'll work on it more in the spring since mowing season is pretty much over here in Michigan.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Rivets, I had repair mice damage on one these a few years ago. They are a pita to work on. No room to get the shroud off. The customer insisted it only took 30 minutes to get the engine and back on. He no longer a customer as he was a cheap skate. And a track model Toro Dingo with the similar setup that require the engine removal just so I could replace a head gasket. Just in there too tight of a space to work on otherwise.

Threads
Rivets, I had repair mice damage on one these a few years ago. They are a pita to work on. No room to get the shroud off. The customer insisted it only took 30 minutes to get the engine and back on. He no longer a customer as he was a cheap skate. And a track model Toro Dingo with the similar setup that require the engine removal just so I could replace a head gasket. Just in there too tight of a space to work on otherwise.
Yep, it looks like it would be a huge PITA to remove and replace the engine just to replace the coil. I'll likely have to get it done in the spring. Just curious, since you have done it before, about how much shop time should it take to R&R and replace the coil module. I'm not a cheap skate, but I don't want to get shafted either. The local equipment dealer / repair shop charges an arm and a leg per hour, so it would help to know what would be a fair amount of repair time to be charged for.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep, it looks like it would be a huge PITA to remove and replace the engine just to replace the coil. I'll likely have to get it done in the spring. Just curious, since you have done it before, about how much shop time should it take to R&R and replace the coil module. I'm not a cheap skate, but I don't want to get shafted either. The local equipment dealer / repair shop charges an arm and a leg per hour, so it would help to know what would be a fair amount of repair time to be charged for.
3-4 hours would be in the ballpark depending if things go as planned.

Threads
3-4 hours would be in the ballpark depending if things go as planned.
Thanks, that will give me a ball park idea of what the labor time should be, plus parts. I want to thank everyone who responded and provided all this great information.