Staling 2002 Cub Cadet 2166 w/16 HP Kohler Command

Threads
My 2002 16hp Kohler 2166 Cub Cadet with only 200 hrs. on it is now stalling after starting ,running and mowing fine for maybe 5-10 mins. then it sputters and quits running. After it cools off and sets for a while, it fires right up runs and mows great then sputters and quits again. Plenty of gas, installed a new fuel filter, spark plug, loosened fuel tank cap...still stalls. Anyone have a similar problem and find a solution to stop the stalling problem. HELP!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like your coil has either a hot short or hot open. This means the coil breaks down when it gets hot. Next time it happens check for spark. No spark, time to replace the coil.

Threads
Thank you for your response Rivets. I'll check it for spark after it stalls next time. Someone said you have to pull the motor to get access to the coil module...Hope it's not the coil but afraid it is. Thanks Again for your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Shouldn’t have to pull the engine to access the coil.

Threads
Hope your right and the other info I saw about having to pull the motor was incorrect. There is a housing around the rear of the motor where it hooks up to the drive shaft. Looks like a huge PITA do it yourself project, or an expensive trip to the lawn equipment repair shop. Thanks Again

slomo

Lawn Pro
Threads
Even clean the cooling fins? Is this overheating? Ever pull the top engine shroud or engine cover?

Threads
I don't believe it's overheating, but I'll blow out the motor fins with my air compressor to be sure. Thanks for your help.

slomo

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pull the fuel tank hose AT the carb inlet. Should flow and fill up the entire inner diameter of the hose. If you see half flow or less, flush tank and install all new lines.

Threads
Pull the fuel tank hose AT the carb inlet. Should flow and fill up the entire inner diameter of the hose. If you see half flow or less, flush tank and install all new lines.
I just changed the fuel filter, it's flowing fine. Do you know if a 2002 Cub Cadet 2166 with the 16hp Kohler Command motor has a fuel pump ?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes it has a fuel pump.