Export thread

Split between a few options.. New to riding mowers and need one for 1.5 acre

R

redwing634

I've asked around a few different places and have gotten suggestions all over the place. Get a tractor, get a zero turn, get X brand, get Y brand, don't buy big box, etc.

Figured this might be a better place to ask for advice. Based on the feedback I've received so far, this is kind of where I'm at:

Will be avoiding home depot/lowes, and instead buying from a dealer. Right now, I'm leaning toward either a John Deere x350 ($3.6k) or a Cub Cadet RZT S50 ($3k). The positives with the Deere, as I understand it, is I can do a lot more with it if I want (living in the Northeast, I could use it to plow/blow driveway, etc). Positives with Cub Cadet is that it's zero turn so it could make the actual mowing process easier/neater?

Regarding the lawn itself, it's 1.5 acres, 80% flat, with an easy slope in the middle. There are some medium trees and shrubs but nothing too crazy. I do know that the current homeowner has a zero-turn, but haven't spoken with him (saw it in shed when doing home tour).

Just looking for insight/suggestions, and if there's additional brands/models I should consider.

B

bertsmobile1

They are both excellent mowers.
ZTR's are a lot easier to manouver once you get your hand eye co-ordination happeneing.
Tractors can be used well as tractors.

In the long term the JD is going to give you less problems than the Cub for no other reason than it is simple.
The Cub has a lot of complicated linkages in the 4 wheel steer & cruise control mechanism which jamb and when they wear will be a nightmare.

On 1.5 acres you would be pushed to gain much of a time advantage with the ZTR if you don't have a lot of trees or other obstacles to navigate around.

I have 1 customer with the same Cub and he is on 5 acres and overjoyed with it
However he did upgrade from a 25 year old Rover 10-32 to a Cub 20-48 so that is not supprising.

No customers with X series JD's to compare with.
Down here JD's are excellent value as the mower division piggy backs on the farm division so the logistical costs are a lot lower.

Carscw

Carscw

If you want to go the tractor type I would scratch off the JD.
Cub makes a very good garden tractor as does husqvarna.
A zero turn would be best for the lawn care. But a GT would be the best all around mower.

R

redwing634

If you want to go the tractor type I would scratch off the JD.
Cub makes a very good garden tractor as does husqvarna.
A zero turn would be best for the lawn care. But a GT would be the best all around mower.

Yeah I just came across Husqvarna (was looking at the Z254 Zero Turn for $3k). Definitely still unsure about zero turn vs GT. As a new home owner I just have very little knowledge of what I'd even do with a GT aside from mowing. Also if I end up wanting a mulch kit, do the zero turn mowers have decent ones? Or would I want to get a GT for that?

Also here's a quick snap of the back yard. The exterior trees are the boundary. Front yard is pretty small comparatively, with a few mulched flower/shrub beds to go around.

6004 Library Rd15.jpg

Carscw

Carscw

They do make mulch kits for a zero turn.
If you think you will just be mowing get the zero turn. But do not cut the grass that short. Let it come up a inch and it will look much better.

Z

ziti

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and also have over an acre to mow. I wound up buying a 52" Hustler ZTR thru Lowes. My old 89' Honda 3011 rider was starting to wear out, although the engine is still as reliable as ever. At first, I was looking to buy another Honda rider, but Honda doesn't make them anymore(only in Europe). Anyway, after reading some posts on this forum, I figured I'd go zero turn and glad I did. At the time, the mower came with a Kawasaki engine which was a big plus for me. Also, I'm 67 and retired. I cut my mowing time by half. Being in the northeast, I average only about 40 hours on it in a season and it's fun to operate.

M

motoman

.Re: Split between a few options.. New to riding mowers and need one for 1.5 acre

About 12 years back I was a newbie, bought a Craftsman dyt 4000 (a big box low end, it is defined). Maintaining 5 acres, about 1 acre in grass I found I could not scratch up the soil to replant nor drag a "rake" due to the weaker K46 trans and weaker chassis. Also I slipped around in the damp weather here.

About 6 weeks ago I decided to buy a Husqvarna GT 48 XLSi with Intek 24 "endurance" engine. Before I did that I looked hard at sub compact tractors, like Kubota 3 cyl liquid cooled. That range used is about $8K and I could not justify it. The Intek is a kind of gamble (what isn't) as I did have problems with my old Intek and wanted Kaw, but cold not get it in my Husqy model. Only about 10 hrs so far. If interested there are more comments currently on the Husqy forum .