Spindles/deck

1Lawman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got my new Cheetah...love it ! :thumbsup:

However, I shopped John Deere and ExMark and they too look good..Cheetah won out for suspension, large deck discharge and geat engine..(999c.c. Kawasaki)..Here's my issue..The spindles are attached to the deck with four small bolts..John Deere and ExMark use 6 - 7 large bolts..The Scag looks very light compared to them..What gives? Should I expect problems?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums....
The Cheetah is a very good mower...
You should always "expect problems" But I don't think you will have any with the way the deck spindles are bolted down... :smile:KennyV

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scag Velocity Plus decks have tripple plates around the spindle area. I have no concerns about only four bolts holding the Scag spindles in place. Many manufacturers have only a single thickness in the spindle area and some may see the need for more bolts to secure the spindles because of this.
The multiple layers around the spindles just makes cleaning a little more difficult underneath.
Over the years I have had to straighten several single thickness decks on the top where the spindles mount, and also have replaced several stamped decks as some are impossible to straighten.
I have done mower maintenance for several cemetery associations for many years and even the so called best stamped decks and single ply decks don't make it very long around grave stones before they bend and crack!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

xX_Menace_Xx

Threads
i replaced the spindles on my old scag 61" walk behind last year because the bearings were worn out.
original spindles with four bolt system n i would guess the mower was new in the late 90's.
i have only used it for two years though (gift from a coworker) but, i never had any issues with the spindle mounting.

i cant imagine you will have any issues out of it.

dwzimmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I work parts and sales at a dealership where we have exmark and scag. The difference in the build of the spindle housings is substantial between the two lines. The cast iron housing on the scag weighed in at 7.5 pounds while the exmark cast aluminum housing weighed in at 3.5 lbs. Not only are the scags spindles stronger, they are greaseable while exmarks are non greaseable.

Rest assured, whether you have for bolts or 8 mounting your spindle assembly, your scag is going to hold up well.