Spartan keypad issues

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh yes have to replace the whole harness because the PTO switch is incoperated into the key pad. Are the other mowers like this? Not fimiliar with the others.

StarHammer88

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the reason I will not get a Spartan , mower looks OK but key pad issues scared me off,
If it was Me, I'd disconnect it all together, buy a regular ignition switch, choke and cable assembly, and blade engagement switch,
you will need to wire it up from there, ( be aware the warranties / safeties ) will not be in service any longer though, I've done this on a few machines for people ++
I've got a 2019 spartan mower that I'm looking at doing this on. What would be the steps that I'd need to take to get this working?

Bertrrr

Threads
I think I've read on here there are conversion kits to get around this keypad garbage

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I get a dead keypad mower I just go into Jacks web site and check the wiring diagrams of previous models till I find the latest one with a real key
Not sure if Spartans were ever made with a key but as you should know there are really only 2 basic wiring layouts
1) grounds through the key
2) uses relays to turn the magneto on & off
The rest of the stuff is just the same switches and most will happily interchange
Relay & Module controlled mowers will usually have 2 prong safety switches because the module handles the switching
Manual ( dumb ) systems use 4 prong switches to separate cranking circuit from kill circuits
Not hard to rewire from scratch
Just done a Z-master from scratch as Toro wanted $ 395 for the main harness + $ 125 for the engine harness + extra for the individual switches .
From scratch there was $ 18 worth of plugs & sockets and about $ 50 worth of wire
I did have to reuse the Fuel / Hour meter plug by cutting the wires & joining them as I could not get plug and I could only get the terminals in a 1000 unit roll