Spartan keypad issues

Jesse18

Forum Newbie
Threads
My parents bought a Spartan zero turn and have had repeated keypads go bad. The one that just went bad only had 35hrs on it and will be the 4th one to go out. My plan is to bypass the whole keypad but I can’t find a wiring diagram anywhere. The mower is about 8hrs away so I’d like to figure out what I need so that I can fix it hopefully for good the next time I go home. Does anyone happen to have a schematic? It is a 17 SRT with the kohler engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
have you asked Spartan ?
Most mower companies have wiring diagrams on their web site as a free download due to the restrictive trade case ruling that they can not keep it secret .

Jesse18

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked on there website but have not contacted them

RecoilFreak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked on there website but have not contacted them
Good luck with that. Spartan has the worst customer service I have ever run into of any equipment dealer. My keypad has also failed - just out of warranty. $300 for a replacement.

Bertrrr

Threads
This is the reason I will not get a Spartan , mower looks OK but key pad issues scared me off,
If it was Me, I'd disconnect it all together, buy a regular ignition switch, choke and cable assembly, and blade engagement switch,
you will need to wire it up from there, ( be aware the warranties / safeties ) will not be in service any longer though, I've done this on a few machines for people ++

lucky1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good luck with that. Spartan has the worst customer service I have ever run into of any equipment dealer. My keypad has also failed - just out of warranty. $300 for a replacement.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Contact Spartan and ask if they make a kit to convert to an ignition switch kit. Dixie Chopper had this problem and made a kit to conver it to key start. Have change a lot of them out.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like some one could make a kit Where all that was require was to replace the switch. On D/C you have to replace the complete wiring harness.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They were a good idea, badly done
Mower electronics are not good enough to run these chips reliabily
heat, sunlight, weather, vibrations all kill them
I have done a few AYP conversions back to key
Not all that difficult and AYP gave up on them after 3 years because they were so problematic
They work in cars where the parts are not subject to weather, vibrations & have a much more stable electrical system but not on mowers