Spartan Keypad issue

gary.yarbrough

Forum Newbie
Threads
my spartan RT Pro with kohler kt745 will not crank with both kill wires attached. I can disconnect either one and it cranks and runs but only firing on cylinder with kill wire disconnected. I can disconnect both and it turms over but does not crank. As soon as I plug the other kill wire it dies. I feel like I have a keypad internal issue as all 4 safety switches test good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK Gary , I am not trying to nit pick but you need to be a little more careful with your descriptions
Crank = rotate
Fire = spark or at least go pop

Now what I think yur are saying is it will rotate ( crank ) but not fire if the kill wires are connected to the coils and when disconnected it will only fire on one .

Now the kill circuit is a ground circuit so remove the kill wires and check each one, one at a time for continuity to ground
Off should closed circuit
On should be open circuit

Get back & let us know what you find .

gary.yarbrough

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes you are correct it will rotate but not fire. I have traced the kill wire back through the harness. It appears the spartan keypad has incorporated the diodes into the push button keypad. I suspected bad diodes origionally on the kill wire but could not find them. Im getting closer to figuring this out but was hoping someone could confirm what I was thinking (bad diode). I am thinking of doing what Briggs does with the dual diode (1n4007) inline with the kill wires, because I believe the diode setup is in the sealed pushbutton keypad.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not likely to be a bad diode
They just prevent feedback & phantom sparks at the wrong time
Remove both kill wires at the magnetos then crank engine & check for spark .
IF you get one then either one of the safety switches is bad or the control module is bad $$$$$ .

I usually do a process of elimination by either unpluging or jumping each switch, one at a time till the engine fires
If by the time you have done this to all of them and it does not fire that only leaves the module

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
yes you are correct it will rotate but not fire. I have traced the kill wire back through the harness. It appears the spartan keypad has incorporated the diodes into the push button keypad. I suspected bad diodes origionally on the kill wire but could not find them. Im getting closer to figuring this out but was hoping someone could confirm what I was thinking (bad diode). I am thinking of doing what Briggs does with the dual diode (1n4007) inline with the kill wires, because I believe the diode setup is in the sealed pushbutton keypad.
What Briggs setup is doing with the kill harness with diodes is done by Kohler in each ignition coil. A diode in either coil can cause a non fire condition they are both are connect to the harness. Usually you end up replacing both coils when this happens.