spark plugs

bigfuzzy

Threads
i have a briggs & stratton, mod. 385777 type 0349 e1. it will start & run fine most of the time, then it will stop firing on 1 cylinder. yesterday it ran fine for about an hour & half, then when i took a break it started skipping on 1 cylinder when i restarted. when i checked the fire it wouldnt arc to the plug & only arc about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch to ground. just installed new coils. any ideas as to what the problem is??

Lawnranger

Threads
You didn't mention anything about using new spark plugs so I'll start there and recommend two new spark plugs. Also, try using a spark checker instead of the spark plugs making sure you have a good ground on the spark checker.

bigfuzzy

Threads
new spark plugs, new coils, it uses 2. 1 over each cylinder

Lawnranger

Threads
If the design will allow, swap the coils from their respective positions and try again. If the problem moves with the coil then you know you have a bad coil. If not, you have gremlins.:laughing:

bigfuzzy

Threads
about the only thing left is the gremlins & they will not come out where i can hit them with the hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lawnranger

Threads
about the only thing left is the gremlins & they will not come out where i can hit them with the hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, sold it at a garage sale. Things like this can be so frustrating. Please let us know what ultimately fixes the problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the kill wire that goes between the two coils. You may find a small cut or abrasion which will allow that coil to short out when the engine warms up.

bigfuzzy

Threads
it is also new.
could it be the magnet in flywheel??????

Lawnranger

Threads
it is also new.
could it be the magnet in flywheel??????

At this point anything is possible and you need to double check everything. So many times the problem turned out to be something simple, something overlooked, and that is why nothing is being left to chance.