Spare Tires -- Do you have that too?

minkyung

Threads
For ride-on mowers, do you keep spare tire too? Sometimes I think we should have spare tire. But sometimes I think no need, hehehe. I cannot find a thread about spare tire, so I am starting one. Thank you in advance for your help.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm pretty sure that most riding mowers don't have spare tires. I have a walk-behind rough-cut mower with pneumatic tires and it doesn't have a spare. My tractor doesn't have a spare -- which would have to be huge in the case of the rear tire.:eek:

When you mow, you're usually at home so you can't get stranded.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most mowing equipment including AG equipment will get decades from their tires...
When (if ever) the tires need replaced you do it in pairs...
If you have a single tire that you have had around for 10 or 20 years, you most likely will no longer find a mate to it... you may find the same size... but the tread will likely be somewhat different... Plus you then will have very old rubber on one wheel ...
It is just not worth the overall inconvenience, when you consider the life expectancy of the tires you have on the equipment, and the most likely problem you'll encounter will be a puncture. (easy repair)... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most mowing equipment including AG equipment will get decades from their tires...
When (if ever) the tires need replaced you do it in pairs...
If you have a single tire that you have had around for 10 or 20 years, you most likely will no longer find a mate to it... you may find the same size... but the tread will likely be somewhat different... Plus you then will have very old rubber on one wheel ...
It is just not worth the overall inconvenience, when you consider the life expectancy of the tires you have on the equipment, and the most likely problem you'll encounter will be a puncture. (easy repair)... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, my 4210 has huge rear tires and they still look like new, but for some reason the 8 year old fronts on my JD are getting very brittle...they are only 24-8.5X14, Deere could not use larger ones because they would hit the MMM front gauge wheels when turning. The FEL on my tractor gets used a lot so the front tires take quite a burden...the sidewalls are very soft so I am going to replace them with a pair of car tires next spring, probably a pair of Firestone Winterforce radials that are a tad larger than the OEM tires...priced OEM replacements from the dealership...OUCH...!! I can get two Firestones for what an OEM costs and they will carry more weight.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to replace them with a pair of car tires next spring, probably a pair of Firestone Winterforce radials that are a tad larger than the OEM tires...priced OEM replacements from the dealership...OUCH...!! I can get two Firestones for what an OEM costs and they will carry more weight.

Yep the front tires generally wear out with loader use...
If yours is a 4 wheel drive you need to stay close to the OEM rolling circumference...
Radial Car tires will work but have a bit more flex in the side wall, that should make up for the slight over size... check the loaded rolling circumference ...

I went with 10 ply skid steer turf type on the front of my Kubota, they should last me for decades, even with heavy loader use... :smile:KennyV

minkyung

Threads
Thank you Two-Stroke, KennyV and JDgreen. I have not seen a spare tire myself. But what makes me ask is the heavy load on these tires, especially the front.

Now I see things better. I find it scary that replacing old tires can be expensive. But at least that is something that I can worry about when I am 10 years older than today :)

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you Two-Stroke, KennyV and JDgreen. I have not seen a spare tire myself. But what makes me ask is the heavy load on these tires, especially the front.

Now I see things better. I find it scary that replacing old tires can be expensive. But at least that is something that I can worry about when I am 10 years older than today :)[

The weight of the engine rests mainly upon the front axle, and front end loaders concentrate the majority of their weight on the same axle, even when the bucket is empty. When the bucket is full, there is even more weight on the front tires...if I have about 800 pounds of weight or more in my loader bucket, my rear tires are so lacking in traction they spin easily, which means the majority of the weight of the tractor is on the front tires. They are also subject to sidewall deflection while turning, both lightly and heavily loaded. The sidewalls are very short in contrast to the rear tires, and usually they have a much lighter load rating than the rear tires, because they are smaller and hold much less air. The ideal front/rear tire combination has matched sizes, which are common on skid steer loaders, but very few tractors.