Snow Thrower Engine Repair

Kennykenny

Threads
I have a Toro CCR3650 Snow Thrower that will not start. I have cleaned the Carb, good spark plug, good gas. I did a tune up this summer and it fired up. I drained the fuel at that time. I attempt to use it this winter and it will not start. I have attempted to pull start as well as electric start.

When utilizing electric start, the unit sounds like it's going to start for a few seconds and then stops that sound and continuing a "whirling" sound. Out of the exhaust, there are puffs of smoke that continually come out .

Any suggestions on what to check now?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being a 2-cycle engine I’m betting that while it was sitting the gas evaporated, leaving only oil in the carb and crankcase. You are trying to start the unit by igniting oil only, which will not work. To remedy this problem I spray some carb cleaner into the carb and then try to start with no choke. It may take a couple f trys, but once it starts let it run for about five minutes before shutting down. Had three with that same problem after the first snow fall this year. Solved the problem each time.

Kennykenny

Threads
Being a 2-cycle engine I’m betting that while it was sitting the gas evaporated, leaving only oil in the carb and crankcase. You are trying to start the unit by igniting oil only, which will not work. To remedy this problem I spray some carb cleaner into the carb and then try to start with no choke. It may take a couple f trys, but once it starts let it run for about five minutes before shutting down. Had three with that same problem after the first snow fall this year. Solved the problem each time.

I did as mentioned and the thrower started on the second pull. I let the unit sit and run for about 5 minutes with the choke slide all the way to the right. I then slide the choke to the middle for a short time and then moved the lever all the way to the left. Within seconds of moving the choke to the left, the engine seized up and stopped. Small puffs of smoke could be seen coming out of the carb. area. I could barely pull the rope out and when I tried to do the electric start, the unit just gave me a whirling sound. I noticed around the carb., there was a what appeared to be a broken rubber band looking item around it.

What could of happened? The engine shot?

Attachments

• band.jpg
    band.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hate to ask this question, but could you have put in straight fuel, instead of a mixed fuel. This would have caused the engine tp seize.

Kennykenny

Threads
I hate to ask this question, but could you have put in straight fuel, instead of a mixed fuel. This would have caused the engine tp seize.
I did not. If the engine seizes, it it done?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Might be. I would pull the belt cover and using a big pipe wrench try to break it loose by turning it backwards. What’s the units model and serial numbers?

Kennykenny

Threads
Might be. I would pull the belt cover and using a big pipe wrench try to break it loose by turning it backwards. What’s the units model and serial numbers?
With that said, I did "acquire" the unit over the summer and did a tune up on it. Could of been "bad gas" put in it before and left in the lines? I don't know for sure. Model # 38518, serial # 240017416. Are there "how to" videos showing how to attempt this? I'm sure that it is self explanatory but helps to see it first. I appreciate your suggestions.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The unit is sixteen years old, so remember that when deciding on how you want to proceed.

timmayg

Forum Newbie
Threads
I noticed around the carb., there was a what appeared to be a broken rubber band looking item around it.

I just pulled my Toro 2450 apart and found the same 'rubber band' has been disintegrated. It just fell off when I was working around it. I've got no idea why there for and I'm surprised it's not listed (or I just don't see it) in the exploded parts diagrams.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 7.43.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 7.43.21 PM.png
    822.7 KB · Views: 8

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have seen that rubber band a few times and I can honestly say I have no idea why it shows up on some units. Seizures on two cycle engines are 99.9% of the time caused by failure to mix oil with the fuel or using the wrong type of oil. I have seen failures due to running outboard oil in trimmers which run twice as hot. The other cause may be something like a needle bearing breaking loose due to age and abuse over time.