Snapper Ninja Disc Bearing 21" Mower

Gladessf

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper 21" walk behind mower (7800424-RP217020BDV) with the disc drive.

The disc drive bearing is bad.

I ordered a part from amazon with the same part number, at least it cross referenced. Tried it, but the bearing slides right out of the thrust plate. Nothing holds that bearing to the thrust plate

The part from amazon fits, but obviously won't work.

I should have ordered from the Snapper website. But my fear is it will be the same bearing.

The old bearing when I removed it popped right off. I think the bearing had a pressed collar of some sort, but the bearing was in such bad shape I couldn't really tell.

I'm ready to order from Snapper Parts; has anyone done this repair before? Does the replacement part from snapper have something to old the bearing to the thrust plate?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 21

timc1018

Threads
Yes, I just rebuilt my entire Drive Unit on a 2000 P216012.

From what I can see, you need a new bearing (35), 4 screws that secure the bearing, and the "C" (34) clip.

The bearing is installed on the inside of (31), and it has a flange on it that allows the 4 screws to hold the bearing onto the Thrust Plate (31), where the Head to the screw presses agains the bearing case lip to hold it in place. Mine is a year 2000 P216012, so it's a few years older, and they have made minor changes to the Drive Unit, as I only have ONE "C" clip, and it attaches on the outside of the shaft. Your diagram looks like you may have two.

I am trying to upload pictures of mine to show you, but I keep getting an error that says image is not as expected....if you send me a PM with your email, I'll email you pictures of mine that will clearly show how it's attached.

Last edited:

Gladessf

Forum Newbie
Threads
•Timc1018,

My schematic dosent indícate the 4 screws which go on the thrust plate.However, My thrust plate has those screw holes for sure!

There has to be something that holds that axle bearing (4 screws).

The old bearing didn’t use screws and appears it was pressed into place.

I guess I can take the thrust plate to the hardware store and see which screws /pitch /thread will work.
Please let me know if you find out further! My lawn is out of control , especially with the recent rains!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thrust plate 31
1.jpg

Your manual link below.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/156309/Snapper-2167520b-7800428.html#manual

That looks to be the wrong bearing (proper part number 707608) that has failed??. One side has a lip that stops the bearing from plunging into the thrust plate and falling out. Then the 4 screws retain it IN the thrust plate. Just as TimC said.

2.jpg

Four screws part number 704061.

3.jpg

Link to Snapper parts for YOUR mower.

https://www.snapper.parts/snapper-parts-lookup?aribrand=SNP#/Snapper/7800424_-_RP217020BDV,_21"_7_TP_Steel_Deck_Recycling_Series_20/Drive_System_Self-Propelled/7800424/477dssp/y

slomo

Last edited:

timc1018

Threads
Dave, Sent you email with pictures. I have the bearing that you need (#35 in diagram part 707608), ended up with several extra's when I rebuilt my drive unit, send me your address and I'll send you one free...

Gladessf

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll update my finding shortly. Looks like I just need screws to hold the bearing. Trip to the hardware to see if I can locate 4 screws that fit that thrust plate ( #10-32 X 1/4" Hex Screw ). Standby.

Thanks again Tim & Slomo!

Gladessf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mission accomplished.(y)

First want to thank Tim & Slomo for their help. Thanks guys!

Using #10-32x.75 screws with a appropriate washer and nylock nut, I was able to secure the new bearing to the thrust plate.

See pictures.

After the repair I mowed and noticed the machine is alot quieter. The bad bearing makes quite a racket! I did notice quite a bit of vibration at the new bearing, so I wonder how long that bearing will last.

I hope this post helps anyone else down the road with this repair. I couldn't find anything on the internet regarding this repair. :unsure:

Attachments

• new repair 1.JPG
    new repair 1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 5
  • new repair 2.JPG
    new repair 2.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 5
  • new repair 3.JPG
    new repair 3.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 4
  • new repair 4.JPG
    new repair 4.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 4
  • stens bearing.JPG
    stens bearing.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 2

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Awesome news!

There is another bearing on the right handlebar lower area. Isn't there three on that hex shaft, two for sure? I would have to look at the parts schematic. I would replace that other bearing while you are there. Make sure this extension spring is nice and strong, part number 7029025YP. Finally your rubber driven disk needs to be looked at. With all those fresh parts, it will quieten down and smooth out a lot. Glad you got her running.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just looked at the pictures. That is a Chinese bearing. Guess it's working now. Might outlast us both LOL. Me, I only use OEM Briggs/Snapper parts. Again glad to hear she's mowing now. (y)

slomo