Smokes like a chimney

Forest#2

Threads
Just a general arm chair opinion:
The spark plug cylinder on the left in the picture is the suspect cylinder when doing a compression or leakdown COMPARISON test. Comparing the left oily/carbon/fouled spark plug cylinder to the right plug's cylinder.

The right plug is worn out but no need in throwing good money at bad replacing such right now.
If the left plug's cylinder compression is 15-20lbs or more lower than the right plug cylinder then head gasket is suspect. (or the rings on that cylinder) If both cylinder have about same compression (within 5 pounds the rings on both are suspect.
I prefer to do a leak down test but doing a leak down is not as user friendly as the compression test. (you might could rent a leak down tester if you have a air compressor) You can review on-line the procedure for doing small engine leak down tests.
On that Briggs twin another thing I would visually look at is the breather hose that plugs into the back of the air breather intake. I've seen people accidently leave that hose disconnected from the plastic breather intake and the engine will suck dust straight into the air intake via way of the dime sized hole into the carb's throat and the rings will go fast. This hole bypasses the air filter.

Air4Dave

Threads
I bought a used Husqvarna mower in August with a 22hp twin cylinder b&s engine and she's a smoker. My lot is about an acre and I have to add a quart of oil after 2 mowings. Then I have to take a shower since I smell so badly from exhaust fumes. Motor runs good, and I'm sure it needs rings. But I'm wondering if there's any "snake oil" treatment I might add to get me through the season. This will most likely be my last season of mowing lawn myself as I'm 78 years old. I'll hire someone next year. Just want to get through this season. Any ideas?
Sounds like a stuck oil ring! In years past, I've used Marvel Mystery oil...it's crazy, but somehow it worked. You've probably got a lot of carbon buildup in the rings too. I'm sure you've checked the condition of the plug? STP would be too thick!!

DinosaurMike

Threads
Why not call some lawn services and ask if they can add your lawn mid-season? After all, you said you planned to do that next year. Spend the money on someone else mowing your lawn instead of trying to fix whatever is broken. You could spend a month screwing with the engine and you still might need a lawn service if the repairs don't work. Don't be stubborn like me.

lindy46

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I went ahead and installed a new engine as the rest of the mower is in great condition. I may play around with the old engine now that it's out. I've been an antique outboard motor mechanic for many years, so I'm not afraid to dive into this. If I can get her repaired, I'll sell her. If not I can part her out. Thanks for all your advice!

Forest#2

Threads
The Briggs Intek Twin Service manual is good to have around.
About $25. You might search around and see if one is available as a free pdf download.

You might even get lucky and just find a blown head gasket.
I just got through re-ringing one of those twin Inteks, little over $100 for set of rings, and a gasket set was around $50. The cylinders and pistons were good shape, just worn out rings. I fixed it as a back-up spare for some that I'm using. I'm not a fan of the Briggs Intek engines both the twins and the singles. The old Briggs L-heads were better made engines.
I have a cherry picker and hoist so as I do not have to manually lift the engines from the mower to the work bench.

Last edited:

Timtoo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I went ahead and installed a new engine as the rest of the mower is in great condition. I may play around with the old engine now that it's out. I've been an antique outboard motor mechanic for many years, so I'm not afraid to dive into this. If I can get her repaired, I'll sell her. If not I can part her out. Thanks for all your advice!
Please post here and let us know what you find with the old engine. I'm sure we all would like to know.

DinosaurMike

Threads
Lindy46, change your mind about hiring a lawn service next year? Shiny new engine should make mowing fun again.