Smokes like a chimney

lindy46

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a used Husqvarna mower in August with a 22hp twin cylinder b&s engine and she's a smoker. My lot is about an acre and I have to add a quart of oil after 2 mowings. Then I have to take a shower since I smell so badly from exhaust fumes. Motor runs good, and I'm sure it needs rings. But I'm wondering if there's any "snake oil" treatment I might add to get me through the season. This will most likely be my last season of mowing lawn myself as I'm 78 years old. I'll hire someone next year. Just want to get through this season. Any ideas?

skippymud

Threads
I bought a used Husqvarna mower in August with a 22hp twin cylinder b&s engine and she's a smoker. My lot is about an acre and I have to add a quart of oil after 2 mowings. Then I have to take a shower since I smell so badly from exhaust fumes. Motor runs good, and I'm sure it needs rings. But I'm wondering if there's any "snake oil" treatment I might add to get me through the season. This will most likely be my last season of mowing lawn myself as I'm 78 years old. I'll hire someone next year. Just want to get through this season. Any ideas?
Hey Lindy46 of 78 and still groovin'. Your snake oil might be a Zinc Oil Additive at first thought. But you might also be running a little rich on the fuel or the valves are shot or your rings have seen their day from lack of oil changes and/or extreme use

Change the air filter first or remove it temporarily to see any noticeable change. Change the spark plug; it's probably black with soot

Forest#2

Threads
Post up model, type, code.

Some of them Briggs head gasket will start leaking and cause such.

RayMcD

Threads
Ya might want to give up on the sucker before the fumes hurt you. That's a lot of oil to be swallowing. May a trip to the local repair shop would be wise..

lindy46

Forum Newbie
Threads
Intek V-twin ohc model 44N677-0005-G1
New air filter and plugs.

Forest#2

Threads
Like fish says it might just be a head gasket.
Can you remove both spark plugs and see if only one is black oily?
If only one is oily black it might be worth having someone look at the head gasket on that side but maybe do a leak down test first comparing one cylinder to the other. You can review these hints on-line using your model.

You are polluting the atmosphere and the pollution police are going to be sad at what you are doing. Everyone lives downstream.

lindy46

Forum Newbie
Threads
Both plugs are black and pretty sooty

Attachments

• IMG_20240527_112056.jpg
    IMG_20240527_112056.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: ssn