Smart Drive Failure

EAsyAs123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Purchased a Honda HRR2168VKA (MZCG-8542179) on 5/25/2012. Mower is only used seasonally. The SmartDrive failed this weekend (6/30/2013). My son was mowing and the SmartDrive simply stopped. He finished his section by manually pushing the mower. Any suggestions on what might be wrong and is this an easy fix? I checked with the authorized dealer I purchased it from. I need to bring it in and they will look at it in 2-3 weeks depending upon their workload/backlog. If it's easy, I rather not be waiting that long and hiring someone else to mow my lawn during the time my mower is sitting in the shop.

Thanks for your help!

PS Manual mowing with this thing on a poorly graded yard is the PITS.

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Purchased a Honda HRR2168VKA (MZCG-8542179) on 5/25/2012. Mower is only used seasonally. The SmartDrive failed this weekend (6/30/2013). My son was mowing and the SmartDrive simply stopped. He finished his section by manually pushing the mower. Any suggestions on what might be wrong and is this an easy fix? I checked with the authorized dealer I purchased it from. I need to bring it in and they will look at it in 2-3 weeks depending upon their workload/backlog. If it's easy, I rather not be waiting that long and hiring someone else to mow my lawn during the time my mower is sitting in the shop.

Thanks for your help!

PS Manual mowing with this thing on a poorly graded yard is the PITS.

Best to let the dealer handle the repairs, as it is still under warranty and might be covered, depending on what they discover. Might want to check with other dealers, who may not be as behind in service was this one is....here's a link to find more:

Find A Honda Dealer

EAsyAs123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bit the bullet and took it in last Friday to the dealer I purchased it from. This time they said they would call me sometime this week. However, even though the mower is still under warranty, they told me that the belt only had a 1 year warranty. I'm trying to figure out how the belt slipping off (not breaking) isn't covered. Can anyone explain that to me? I guess I didn't read the fine print. Does anyone have a link to what IS covered?

Thanks.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bit the bullet and took it in last Friday to the dealer I purchased it from. This time they said they would call me sometime this week. However, even though the mower is still under warranty, they told me that the belt only had a 1 year warranty. I'm trying to figure out how the belt slipping off (not breaking) isn't covered. Can anyone explain that to me? I guess I didn't read the fine print. Does anyone have a link to what IS covered?

Thanks.

Here's a link to the warranty document:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/pdf/warranty/p-pwl50623-q.pdf

On page 2, it does state "consumable items" (blades, belt, tires etc.) are not covered as they are wear items. I don't see anything about a "1-year warranty on the belt" and if it just popped off after only one year of residential use, I don't see how that is even a wear item, provided the belt was in good condition and simply needed to be re-installed.

At this point, I'd suggest you contact Honda Customer Relations and get the straight scoop. Have your frame serial number handy and call 770-497-6400. They can help resolve this and are the authority for warranty claims.

EAsyAs123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's a link to the warranty document:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/pdf/warranty/p-pwl50623-q.pdf

On page 2, it does state "consumable items" (blades, belt, tires etc.) are not covered as they are wear items. I don't see anything about a "1-year warranty on the belt" and if it just popped off after only one year of residential use, I don't see how that is even a wear item, provided the belt was in good condition and simply needed to be re-installed.

At this point, I'd suggest you contact Honda Customer Relations and get the straight scoop. Have your frame serial number handy and call 770-497-6400. They can help resolve this and are the authority for warranty claims.

Thanks for the link and the phone number. I googled and found the PDF you cited. I will wait until I hear from our dealer when they call and see what they have to say about the mower. If there are issues, I will call.

What, if anything, should I be charged for if it is simply a matter of the belt slipping off? The service man stated that the belt slipping could happen by simply running over a small twig. He lead me to believe that would void the warranty (as well as the mower being over a year old). I know the warranty is 3 years, plus I believe I got an additional year on that.

EAsyAs123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was charged for replacing the belt ($10.31) and just under 30 min labor. Not certain why I was charged for a new belt when the old one slipped off and didn't appear to be damaged in any way. Does this seem reasonable?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was charged for replacing the belt ($10.31) and just under 30 min labor. Not certain why I was charged for a new belt when the old one slipped off and didn't appear to be damaged in any way. Does this seem reasonable?

Did you give Honda Customer Relations a call? They can surely resolve and clarify what is or isn't a warranty repair.

possum

Threads
Fixed it now forget it and mow. It happens. At least you did not have to wait a long time to get it fixed. Next time you will know what to expect and can decide what to do from there.

EAsyAs123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sigh...got a bigger issue now. Spouse neglected to tell me that he opened the gearbox thinking that he was simply pulling the gearbox out to access behind it. He drained the oil out. What type of oil and how much needs to go into the gearbox or should I simply take the mower back for repair again?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sigh...got a bigger issue now. Spouse neglected to tell me that he opened the gearbox thinking that he was simply pulling the gearbox out to access behind it. He drained the oil out. What type of oil and how much needs to go into the gearbox or should I simply take the mower back for repair again?

Take the mower to the dealer; at this point, it needs to be inspected and evaluated by a pro, and they can tell you what the next steps should be to get it running again.