Small engine storage

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can get your local AV gas prices at this link...
AirNav: Local Fuel Prices
:smile:KennyV

Very interesting - I put in my zip and found a wide variety of prices (low = $4.30; high = $7.70). Benchmark: I just filled up my truck at $2.60 [15% ethanol]. I also discovered the location of some small airports that I hadn't known about.

I enjoy learning new stuff.:smile:

lizard

Threads
You need to put in your Zip and check the 100 LL fuel... thats low lead BUT do not use this stuff in a 'no lead' street car... although it is labeled LL it is actually very high in lead content... Racers also buy AV gas because it is super high in Lead... :smile:KennyV

Main thing is the purity of the fuel and the extreme high octane rating.......so you can be sure it is fresh and not contaminated.
Aviation fuel smells beautifull........much better than other fuels!:rolleyes:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Aviation fuel smells beautifull........much better than other fuels!:rolleyes:

Yes the old days Ethyl gasoline looked good and smelled good...
BUT catalytic converters can not have it ... so it is LONG gone... :smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
Good night all... :smile:KennyV

Remember Unleaded fuel has lead in it, but 1/6 compared to unleaded.......so you can run Leaded fuel in a car with a Catalyitic converter but its life will only be 40,000 km.........I am guilty of this.....but it has a nicce grey-white exhaust............instead of black.:frown:

Manny

Threads
That is a good idea, since the ice turns to water, which will cause you to have problems when you go to start it back up again. I never really thought much about it, since I usually put just the amount of gas that I need in when I use it, but it is something to think about.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remember Unleaded fuel has lead in it, but 1/6 compared to unleaded.......so you can run Leaded fuel in a car with a Catalyitic converter but its life will only be 40,000 km.........I am guilty of this.....but it has a nicce grey-white exhaust............instead of black.:frown:

In the States, since 1996 if you are caught with ANY measurable amount of lead in a on road vehicle it is a $10,000.00 fine...
There is Zero lead allowable in on road gasoline, and the states that do annual smog inspection, certification, will pick up on it immediately... those that do not have annual inspection are subject to spot tests...
The biggest reason AV gasoline is so expensive is the tear down and purge at the refineries that produce it... very costly and shuts down the operation completely until complete... the local refinery in McPherson Kansas is undergoing a purge/cleaning right now... It will be closed for a month and requires 2500 working 3 shifts to get it done... can not produce onroad motor fuel without the certification.
But if any of you remember what smog was like in the 70's in our larger cities, you should be glad we have no lead in our engines on the highways, today would be MUCH worse...:smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
One more thing about AV gasoline...
Although it is labeled "Low Lead"... it contains 4 times the lead of the highest on road fuels from back in the leaded on road fuel days....
It is just some what lower than what AV gas use to be... so a blend of a very little will contaminate your on road fuel system to the point it will not pass a test...

AV gas is still used in race engines at some marinas and of course in older gasoline aircraft... :smile:KennyV

Rickstir

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not an expert by any means, but I know what has worked for me. I put Stabil in my mowers, tillers, Ford Jubilee, trimmers, everything. Full tank, run for 3 or 4 minutes, shut down. Put the spark plug and drop in some oil. Done. Been doing it this way for some time now.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not an expert by any means, but I know what has worked for me. I put Stabil in my mowers, tillers, Ford Jubilee, trimmers, everything. Full tank, run for 3 or 4 minutes, shut down. Put the spark plug and drop in some oil. Done. Been doing it this way for some time now.

Sorry for not being able to follow up on this, had no Internet access for several days...DSL quit working and couldn't even connect by dial up. About 8 years ago I used Stabil in several small engines, stored them with fresh fuel and added the stabilizer, but 5 months later the fuel was very yellowish and stale...decided to never use the stabilizer again.

What do you use your Jubilee for? I inherited mine from my dad, he used it as a hobby tractor, I started tearing it down to rebuild the engine a long time ago and then decided to buy my JD because I wanted something that could use a modern mid mount mower and FEL, plus had PS and hydro.