Slow crank issues

shadetree#1

Threads
Did you adjust the intake valve per the Service manual at 1/4 inch past TDC of the piston?

If you did this and your set the intake valve at .0025 at 1/4 inch past TDC of the piston and it still hangs insert a feel gauge under the rocker arm so as the clearance becomes .0005 to .001 and test crank. (do not adjust just insert a feeler gauge so as to reduce the intake valve lash and check the crank)

Doing this test is checking the condition of your Automatic Compression Release (ACR) so as to get an idea if it's broke or just worn down somewhat.

RichF28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you mean the piston down 1/4" in the cylinder? I will try as soon as you clarify....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes. Move the piston, up on the compression stroke, until you get to TDC. Continue moving the piston forward, NOT BACKWARDS, until the piston drops 1/4”. Now you set the valve clearance. I do one valve at a time. When I complete one valve I rotate the piston through four complete cycles and then recheck the clearance. If it is off, start over, proper clearance do the other valve. Other techs use different procedures, but we all end up in the same place.

RichF28

Forum Newbie
Threads
That did get it spinning normally. Guess I need a cam shaft kit

RichF28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was that not a test for the ACR? The ACR doesn't appear to be working...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, what you did was set the valve clearance properly. That procedure had very little to do with ACR. As Star stated, when you rotate the flywheel you should see a little intake valve movement as you approach TDC. If you see movement your ARC is probably working properly.

shadetree#1

Threads
You might watch some you tube videos of how to set the valve lash on a Briggs 33 series engine.

Here is a link to one video: I suggest you watch more than one video.
Also note that you are turning the flywheel CW when going past TD on the compression stroke..

Set the intake valve lash at a snug .0025.
If you watch the videos carefully you may see the intake valve rocker arm do the slight dip JUST BEFORE the piston reaches TDC. If you do not see the dip just go ahead and adjust the lash at .0025 install the spark plug and test.
Let us know the results?

shadetree#1

Threads
If the engine starts spinning normally install the valve cover see if it will crank, start and run.