Slow crank issues

RichF28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Working on a Poulan Pro with 19 hp briggs motor. When I start hit the key, it turns about one rev. and stops, then another turn and stop, eventually it does start. It runs fine otherwise. I have replaced the starter, no improvement. So I ran a 6 gauge wire from the battery to a solenoid, then the starter. Still no improvement. Battery is fully charged, and brand new wire to the new starter. I'm stumped, any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check the condition of the negative cable and the negative cable to chassis ground connection? This ground connection needs to be very clean or you will not be able to get good current flow. If it is good, I would be checking valve clearancestors.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When was the last time you adjusted the vavles? And while adjusting the valves make sure the intake rocker is being slight at TDC Compression. If no ACR bump then camshaft has failed.

shadetree#1

Threads
Poulan Pro????
I've got a chainsaw with that name but it does not use a briggs engine unless Wilbur installed a replacement engine.

What is the model, type and code of the engine on your Poulan Pro?????

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes there are Poulan Pro riding mowers. I got four different models under my shop's wing.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Yes there are Poulan Pro riding mowers. I got four different models under my shop's wing.
I have worked on a couple of Poulan Pro riders. If wiring and battery are good, and no voltage drop, then most likely the valves need to be adjusted. Just like has been mentioned.

shadetree#1

Threads
What is the model, type and code of the engine on your Poulan Pro?????

RichF28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Valve adjustment doesn't seem to be it. I verified TDC on the compression stroke, and adjusted both valves, no improvement. Both valves seem to be fully opening, when I spin the motor the valves open to where the spring retainer is about even with the valve cover flange... Any other suggestions?

shadetree#1

Threads
What is the model, type and code of the engine?

RichF28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 33R877 Type 0009 C1 Code 160404ZD