Slicks to avoid making ruts?

swschult

Threads
I have a Simplicity Courier ZTR with a 36” deck. If I make even the slightest mistake in turning or slowing down, it creates a hideous rut. I’ve seen ads for slick rear tires. My lawn is mostly level. Would these slick tires help?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like Lawn Addict said three point turns are the way to go. The mistake people make is when the try to make a zero turn is they stop the inside tire and use the outside tire to turn and this screws the inside tire right into the ground and tearing up the yard. Remember three point turns are the best.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like the others said about the 3 point turns. Also, slow down at the end of the row, before making the 3 point turn.

Gord Baker

Threads
I have a Simplicity Courier ZTR with a 36” deck. If I make even the slightest mistake in turning or slowing down, it creates a hideous rut. I’ve seen ads for slick rear tires. My lawn is mostly level. Would these slick tires help?
Enter the turn slower, one side in Forward motion, the other side slightly rearward.

SamB

Threads
I try to make wide turns if lawn space allows it. Other types of turns take more careful handling of the levers, I have to be careful not to pull the reversing side lever too far back, as the mower will spin that tire backward. My Turf Care CZ42175 is repowered with a 19hp B&S which is a tiny bit up in hp but I doubt that makes much difference. I'd bet I would be spinning tires all the time with slicks. I talked to a lawn care pro just a few weeks ago about one of his green paint ztr mowers that have the tweels on it. He said it would really tear a chunk out of a lawn if the turns were not executed just right. He said he put up with the extra care/attention to turns because of the no 'flat tire' downtime.

Lawn Addict
Threads
tweels on it. He said it would really tear a chunk out of a lawn if the turns were not executed just right. He said he put up with the extra care/attention to turns because of the no 'flat tire' downtime.
Reading a few ppl using Tweels are having issues with the spokes breaking over time. Mostly after warranty.. They sure ain't cheep either.

SamB

Threads
Reading a few ppl using Tweels are having issues with the spokes breaking over time. Mostly after warranty.. They sure ain't cheep either.
I toyed with the idea of replacing my drive wheels on my ztr, but the cons vs the pros was way toward the cons, plus the $$$$ of them told me they were not a good idea. As for the lawn care pro, my thoughts were he'd be better off simply having conventional spare tires rather than having the tweels to avoid flat tire downtime. To each his own,though.

SamB

Threads
You will get stuck, from no traction. Either avoid wet mows, or use a 3 point turn easily.
On the sloped part of my backyard, if it's been raining recently and the ground is somewhat wet, if I get too aggressive with the levers, I'll be spinning my drive wheels that are shod with turf tread tires like crazy. I can only imagine how the smooth tires would work for me, even though the tire people say the smooth tire is designed for zero turn mowers.