Simplicty Regent Kohler engine carburator question

Rick51

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2000 Simplicity Regent with a Kohler engine. The mfg number of the mower is 1693915. Not sure what the package number is, but that number is 1693916.
My question is on the bottom of the carb fuel bowl there is a little solenoid ( for lack of better decsription) with a single wire. what is this called, it's purpose and how to replace it. Are there any adjustments needed?

Chuter

Threads
That's most likely a fuel shutoff. When you shut off the ignition, that shuts off the fuel. Kills the engine, also prevents fuel flow to the bowl, which if the float sticks, will flood the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sort of correct
It does not stop fuel entering the float bowl, overfilling it if the flat valve fails and filling the engine with fuel
All it does is to block off the main jet so in the dozen or so revolutions of the engine from the time you turn it off till it eventually stops revolving no unburned fues can be drawn into the engine & pass unburned out the exhaust
It is technically called the "Anti-afterfire valve" because the unburned fuel some times ignites in the muffler & goes bang .
Nothing you can do with it apart from cleaning the varnish off the plunger shaft that tends to make it stick in the closed position..

Rick51

Forum Newbie
Threads
It definatly shuts off the fuel. Some previous owner for what ever reason cut the wire and patched it with electrical connectors. That went bad and it wouldnt start. After finding the problem I temporary twisted the ends together and problem was solved.
I am understanding from the post that inside is just a plunger type mechanism and as long as it starts and run, best leave it alone.

Thank you kindly for your replies

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It shoves the plunger into the end of the main jet
That stops fuel being sucked up through the jet into the engine.
It does not stop fuel entering the float bowl like some no brained idiot moron looking to make himself seem smarter than a pile of pig droppings posted on you tube.
So now 1/2 the population think it is a fuel shut off valve that disconnects the carburettor from the fuel tank which it does not do and if you spray anything down the fuel intake tube it would be blaitently obvious .

The plunger is spring loaded and held back when turned of
Because most were originally fitted as a replacement for the bowl nut o sit at the very bottom of the float bowl.
Thus all the crud accumulates in it and cause it to jamb
So iif it snaps back quickly when powered it is fine & don't fiddle with it .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't want to start a feud. Be kind. A lot of people think the same thing about the fuel solenoid which as you pointed out is incorrect.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Don't want to start a feud. Be kind. A lot of people think the same thing about the fuel solenoid which as you pointed out is incorrect.
When people assume things without knowing what they are talking about this is what you get. The solenoid is actually called an anti-after fire solenoid. It prevents most of the raw fuel being suck into the hot exhaust. When they hear a boom out the muffler they call it a backfire which is also incorrect as a backfire is thru the carburetor intake and not thru the muffler. I actually blew the muffler off my 71 International PU by switching the engine off and back on while going down the road. I had sit on the side of road while I waited for the muffler to cool off so I could pick it up.

I replaced one these this year on a Kawasaki engine that was $150.

It is like those that thinks an inline fuel shut off valve is a cure all for leaky needle seats. I have repaired quite a few Kohler Command and Courage engines where the needle seat was leaky cause running problems, not just the crankcase filling with fuel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And it is the job of all those who know different to firstly correct the misinformation then get those who got sucked in to have a second thought about where they access information from and how they test it for accuracy .
One of my favourite definitions was of a social influencer
A fool with an ego several times their interlect leading idiots too lazy to think down a pathway to ruin on subjects none of them have any knowledge of.

I used to use a mangled quote attributed Bertrand Russell as a sign off on a lot of forums but it lead me to being accused of being an arrogrant know it all
" The average man would rather die than take a second to think about what they are doing
A task that way too many manage to succeed in carrying out to completion "

I used to have a professor who regularly used the line
"A good teacher shows their students how to find the information they seek
A great one teaches them how to question what they have found "

A chemistry professor used to start his lessons with the line
"If you believe that atoms actually exist then.........."

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have no problem with you pointing out the lack of knowledge about the solenoid. Just be kind when you do it. There have been lots of times I would like to have pointed out a persons stupidity when they post the model no. of the mower when the problem is in the engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I was taught to think things through before trying to answer a problem.

Back in '78 I drove my electronics teach nuts as he would teach us one thing and then try to use tests with answers that were incorrect. It got to a point he was having me teach first year students while he graded 2nd year student tests including mine. He learn to let me prove my answers. One time everyone had the answers he had and he gave me a very low score. I had to prove my answers were right. Then the whole class wanted to hang me. He just gave everybody a 100 % score.

And just had before work hours customer show up with a permanent magnet starter. It was dragging so partially open it to find rust. Well when I went to put back together one of the screws wouldn't go in. I looked at the customer and ask "you have been hitting the starter with a hammer haven't you?" It is another thing that is out there about using hammer to get a starter to work. I reckon they think it don't work hit it.

Well that work on automobile starter but only knocks the glued in magnets loose. Now he has to buy a new starter. It is a Briggs starter but not one I have on hand. He won't get his mower that pulls a sprayer until some time next week.

The only thing I faulted my grade school system about and is they don't teach real life skills. I felt like an idiot for not knowing how find my way around in multi story buildings. Now of all schools at the time weer one story buildings.

And yes I can get a little irritated like Bert does. I have learned that I need all the equipment info to troubleshoot a problem remotely or in person. What he and I both forget at times is that we are dealing complete novices. Some of which don't need to even have tools near them. Right now I got a Gravely ZTR that I am having to rework where a DIYer screwed it up royally. I got the wiring straighten out the last couple days, Now I got find he did to cause creep with the brakes off. I got sit down with the service manual go step by step until I find he did so I can undo it. Plus I got a starter solenoid problem which cheaper to replace the solenoid shift starter with a new one. The problem is which Kawasaki engine is on it, no labels anywhere. I know it is a 23hp and looks to be a FH series.