Simplicity broadmoor spindle question

ctvader

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a 2003 simplicity broadmoor (model 1694010 with a 38" deck - 986017) and I had to replace one of the bearings in one of my spindles. I replaced the bad bearing (top only - it was destroyed), the hub and the foam gasket and put everything back together. I can't get the bottom bearing out because I can't get the spacer out - it slides up the shaft about 1/2 way but won't go any further which is not allowing it to come off. The shaft isn't bent and the bottom bearing looks to be in good shape. However, when I engage the deck, the spindle I repaired makes a ticking or clicking sound. When I spin the blade by hand, it spins free and doesn't make any noise. Any thoughts on what it could be?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just because the bottom bearing feels goods doesn't mean it is. I am going to guess and say its a sealed bearing and if you took this bearing apart you would see spots in it that are going bad. You should always replace both bearings. Also if you really don't have the knowledge or tools of bearing replacement you are a lot better off to replace the complete mandrel assembly .

ctvader

Forum Newbie
Threads
reynoldston,

Thank you for your help. The idler pulley was a slightly loose, which was making the ticking sound. I tightened it up and the sound went away. I'm going to bring the spindle assembly to my dealer this week so rebuild - the hub on the left side of the deck, which is the spindle where the bearing was replaced, was really warm, almost hot, to the touch after I was done cutting, more so than the right side. I don't want to take any chances.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it was hot you surely have something wrong. Bringing it to the dealer to over haul is a very good idea. When I worked for a dealer we would install spindle bearings for customers but also had all the right tools like a press.