Simplicity Broadmoor 1693840 steering

Rascle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Simplicity Broadmoor 1693840 which doesn't steer unless you pull back hard on the steering wheel. The steering shaft gear is not meshing with the fan or stearing gear. Where the steering shaft goes through the frame the hole is large and allows the shaft to "float" id recon you'd say. I bought a nylon bushinb an pt in there, still the same thing happened. I checked and rechecked parts list, and called a Simplicity dealer over this issue, which of both says and shows nothing goes in that hole to support the steering gear shaft.
Been fiddling with this not so simple simplicity for a month now looking for a solution, any thoughts? ideas? knowledge about this?
Thanks i advance
"Simply" perpelexed
Rascle

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take a look at page 25&34 of this parts book. You will see that the shaft has a bushing on top and goes through a tube which is part of the hand controls group. If this tube has twisted or out of alignment, it could be causing the problem. Also, check the steering sector gear and bushing, If they are worn it could also contribute to the problem. http://www.thepowerportal.com/ipls/ipl.htm?md=1693840_IPLURL_LO.pdf&attachment=1

Rascle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets
Thanks for the reply but ive already done this, even sliped a bushing in the top and bottom of gear selector for more stabilization. I think my next step it take a slim piece of metal, cut a "V" in the end , mesh the steering bar gear into the fan gear then weld/screw the piece of steel to hold it fast.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the sector gear and bushing?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Rivets already mentioned the tube holds the steering shaft in place.
It is a dicky system as there should be a bush top & bottom or the tube should have a grease nipple to prevent the bottom of the tube being flogged out oval.
Oddly enough the tube which bolts on does not have a part number because it should be replaceable as it is a wear item.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Part number is on the other page.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tar Rivets
and Raskie, that tube should be fixed rigid as it is bolted down in 2 planes.