SHRPENING BLADES Is there really a better way?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Everybody has their way and it is the best way. At least to them. I use a 4.5" angle grinder with a 36 grit flap wheel and an All American sharpener.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Time it with a new fresh file. Compare your time to a hand grinder. AND all the balancing you WILL have to do using a grinder. Or don't balance and destroy spindles and such.

I can hand sharpen a blade in 1-2 minutes with a file. I know hand grinders take 5 times more facebook life wasting minutes easily per blade.

My blades last much much longer using a file. Doesn't over heat the steel making it soft like grinders do. Blades stay sharper a lot longer. Grand Pa did it that way, Dad does it that way and so do I.

slomo
Firstly the harder the blade the finer the cutting edge needed to cut it.
Mill Bastard will slide across a full hard surface leaving it untouched
To get it to bite you need to apply an unsafe amount of downforce and hope it does not slip throwing your hand into the sharp edge of the blade.
Secondly most mower blades are made from Boron steel which is a low grade work hardening forging steel they are not heat treated .
Thus no problems unless you heat the entire blade to around 800C when it will start to loose shape.
Thus no worries with angle grinders , flap discs and the like.
You are spending way too much time watching You tube.
Just like TV , too much You tube will necrotise your cerebal tissues

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
@bertsmobile1
You are correct. Many mower blades are hardened and filing can take a long time to get a sharp edge. A file that is made for sharpening axes is going to work best. However, it’s still going to take quiet a while to get a sharp edge.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I didn't spend 12 years learning metallurgy for nothing although I never really used it much as a graduate.
Too much money down here to be made from real estate , shipping concentrates and being shopkeepers for any one to invest in manufacturing.
No need to be an axe sharp edge, most bar blades are 1 to 2.5mm .
I did a bit with Keech Castings at one time and during those years they cast most of the competition axe heads.
Back then ( before chainsaws ) competative axemanship was very big down here, the wood chop was always a feature at shows not to be missed.
A 6" blue file ≈ 60 HRc & a 6" green file ≈ 50 HRc + a magnet & 20 x jewelry lope always in the pocket .

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know what the steel composition of the average mower blade is but good luck hand filing the .250 thick marbain steel blades on a Ferris or JD or other commercial mowers that use them.

Pete6114

Threads
I have a "All American Sharpener" and am very happy with it. Using 40 grit floppy disks

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know what the steel composition of the average mower blade is but good luck hand filing the .250 thick marbain steel blades on a Ferris or JD or other commercial mowers that use them.
Or a Scag.....

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
About a minute or 2 with a Makita angle grinder free hand, equipped with a Makita disc while in a comfortable chair and the blade across my lap.

Attachments

• Mower blade sharp- 2020.jpg
    Mower blade sharp- 2020.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 8

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
About a minute or 2 with a Makita angle grinder free hand, equipped with a Makita disc while in a comfortable chair and the blade across my lap.
You are mighty brave doing that on your lap and freehand.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are mighty brave doing that on your lap and freehand.
No need to worry about that with a hand file. Power tools on the lap - doesn't - sound safe.