Should I keep this brand new mower or return?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your money and mower so I say do as you want. If its the larger mower deck go for it. I just wouldn't surprised if it doesn't cure your problem. I will say use the mower like it is and if it gets worst then change the deck.

tybilly

Threads
I own an 11 year-old craftsman 917.271833, 21hp Briggs & Stratton 21 hp V-twin manual transmission that I use year round, including with a snowblower attachment. It's been getting long in the tooth and recently has been needing repairs more and more.

So, I was walking through Sears yesterday and the salesperson just marked down a brand new 917.28852 21 hp (single cylinder), 6" turn with a 46" Deck (YT3000) from last year. I got it for what I thought was a steal at $830 brand new (not repaired) and made the impulse buy. My thinking was - Everything is new, Comfortable, automatic transmission, wider cutting path, small turn radius, warranty - All for the cost of just a few repairs of the current tractor.

And - If I sell the old one, I'm probably <$500 out of pocket max.

After getting it home, I did some on-line research. All I read is bad things on line about this tractor, including vibration issues of the 46" mower deck. So, I pulled the tractor out onto the driveway (it's still 40 deg here) and tried the mower. Sure enough, LOTS of vibration compared to my old 42" deck. Shakes a lot.

SO! Here's the question - Keep it? Fix the vibration myself? Be a PITA to Sears until they either fix it or replace the deck with a 3-blade?... Heck - Worst case, I could probably buy a 3-blade deck myself and still be way ahead. Thoughts?
will the new mower accept your old attachments?,

Threads
I agree with reynoldston, bring it back and get a different machine with a twin cylinder engine.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Yep..:thumbsup:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My question is what are you calling a vibration. Just another feeling then the old mower. Are you just expecting too much out of a 860 dollar mower? I sounds to me like you haven't really given it a real try yet like mow your lawn with it but only ran it in the driveway. It looks like as they say do one thing or the other. As I recall when you buy something on clearance sale form Sears the policy is 1 month return policy. The clock is ticking. Will you really be able to mow your grass in less then 1 month? to give this mower a honest trial. I say ether live with it or bring it back. A lot of single cylinder mowers out there and they are just fine, maybe not as smooth as a twin cylinder or your old mower?? Changing the mower deck sounds to me as they say like a bag of snakes.