Export thread

Should I keep this brand new mower or return?

J

jeffsimon

I own an 11 year-old craftsman 917.271833, 21hp Briggs & Stratton 21 hp V-twin manual transmission that I use year round, including with a snowblower attachment. It's been getting long in the tooth and recently has been needing repairs more and more.

So, I was walking through Sears yesterday and the salesperson just marked down a brand new 917.28852 21 hp (single cylinder), 6" turn with a 46" Deck (YT3000) from last year. I got it for what I thought was a steal at $830 brand new (not repaired) and made the impulse buy. My thinking was - Everything is new, Comfortable, automatic transmission, wider cutting path, small turn radius, warranty - All for the cost of just a few repairs of the current tractor.

And - If I sell the old one, I'm probably <$500 out of pocket max.

After getting it home, I did some on-line research. All I read is bad things on line about this tractor, including vibration issues of the 46" mower deck. So, I pulled the tractor out onto the driveway (it's still 40 deg here) and tried the mower. Sure enough, LOTS of vibration compared to my old 42" deck. Shakes a lot.

SO! Here's the question - Keep it? Fix the vibration myself? Be a PITA to Sears until they either fix it or replace the deck with a 3-blade?... Heck - Worst case, I could probably buy a 3-blade deck myself and still be way ahead. Thoughts?

davbell22602

davbell22602

If still under warranty take back and make them fix it.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Seeing you read about the vibration issues I have a feeling its a built in problem. Do what ever and its not going to be fixed. I believe Sears has a return policy. You will never be happy with the mower so bring it back to them. If its a money thing and you want to keep the mower just live with it like the next owner will have to do. Or maybe add another 830 dollars to it and get a different mower.

M

Mad Mackie

Seeing you read about the vibration issues I have a feeling its a built in problem. Do what ever and its not going to be fixed. I believe Sears has a return policy. You will never be happy with the mower so bring it back to them. If its a money thing and you want to keep the mower just live with it like the next owner will have to do. Or maybe add another 830 dollars to it and get a different mower.

I agree with reynoldston, bring it back and get a different machine with a twin cylinder engine.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Mike88se

Mike88se

If still under warranty take back and make them fix it.

If Dave's suggestion doesn't work then reynoldston's will. I'm leaning towards just returning it. I don't see keeping a bad machine as a good thing to do when it can still be returned. Just doesn't make sense to try to fix something that has a design problem when you can take it back.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Just suggestion but the vibration might go away some if you put on heavier blades such as gator blades.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Just suggestion but the vibration might go away some if you put on heavier blades such as gator blades.

The key word is might. And if not you have more money invested and if it dose not a bad price for a mower.

J

jeffsimon

I think the plan I'm going to follow is to make a service call tomorrow and see what can be done while still in the return period. I'm also thinking about buying this to try out and see if it solves all issues: Craftsman GT3000 48" Mowing Deck

How bad is keeping a single-cylinder engine?

davbell22602

davbell22602

I think the plan I'm going to follow is to make a service call tomorrow and see what can be done while still in the return period. I'm also thinking about buying this to try out and see if it solves all issues: Craftsman GT3000 48" Mowing Deck

How bad is keeping a single-cylinder engine?

If your planning on using that on new mower from Sears then dont recommend it as will void the warranty because your not using same mower deck that came with it. Any mods to make that used mower deck fit will also void the warranty. A GT3000 48in deck is 14 years old compared to what you just bought.

jhngardner367

jhngardner367

That mower,now,is returnable. BUT,if you modify it,in any way,from the way it was(including an aftermarket/different deck),they don't have to accept it,and you'll be stuck with it.
If you're not happy with it,just return it.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Your money and mower so I say do as you want. If its the larger mower deck go for it. I just wouldn't surprised if it doesn't cure your problem. I will say use the mower like it is and if it gets worst then change the deck.

T

tybilly

I own an 11 year-old craftsman 917.271833, 21hp Briggs & Stratton 21 hp V-twin manual transmission that I use year round, including with a snowblower attachment. It's been getting long in the tooth and recently has been needing repairs more and more.

So, I was walking through Sears yesterday and the salesperson just marked down a brand new 917.28852 21 hp (single cylinder), 6" turn with a 46" Deck (YT3000) from last year. I got it for what I thought was a steal at $830 brand new (not repaired) and made the impulse buy. My thinking was - Everything is new, Comfortable, automatic transmission, wider cutting path, small turn radius, warranty - All for the cost of just a few repairs of the current tractor.

And - If I sell the old one, I'm probably <$500 out of pocket max.

After getting it home, I did some on-line research. All I read is bad things on line about this tractor, including vibration issues of the 46" mower deck. So, I pulled the tractor out onto the driveway (it's still 40 deg here) and tried the mower. Sure enough, LOTS of vibration compared to my old 42" deck. Shakes a lot.

SO! Here's the question - Keep it? Fix the vibration myself? Be a PITA to Sears until they either fix it or replace the deck with a 3-blade?... Heck - Worst case, I could probably buy a 3-blade deck myself and still be way ahead. Thoughts?
will the new mower accept your old attachments?,

reynoldston

reynoldston

will the new mower accept your old attachments?,

That is a very good question also that I didn't think of.

wjjones

wjjones

I agree with reynoldston, bring it back and get a different machine with a twin cylinder engine.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Yep..:thumbsup:

reynoldston

reynoldston

My question is what are you calling a vibration. Just another feeling then the old mower. Are you just expecting too much out of a 860 dollar mower? I sounds to me like you haven't really given it a real try yet like mow your lawn with it but only ran it in the driveway. It looks like as they say do one thing or the other. As I recall when you buy something on clearance sale form Sears the policy is 1 month return policy. The clock is ticking. Will you really be able to mow your grass in less then 1 month? to give this mower a honest trial. I say ether live with it or bring it back. A lot of single cylinder mowers out there and they are just fine, maybe not as smooth as a twin cylinder or your old mower?? Changing the mower deck sounds to me as they say like a bag of snakes.