Should I finally ditch my 2 stroke Lawnboy?

bt3

Threads
It's not been an easy road keeping my LawnBoy L21ZSM in running condition. Piston ring issues, reed valves, exhaust, carb, ignition modules, you name it, I've had an issue with it. And parts are getting very scarce.

On the plus side, I still have the side discharge bagging kit (brand new) that I was looking forwrd to using if I can get the mower up and running, along with a new Gator blade. I have to work on this mower myself, as no dealer or repair shop (within driving range) will touch an old 2 stroke Lawnboy at this point.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to keep this old mower running, or should I finally say goodbye and focus on a 4 stroke. I still have my commercial Snapper Wisconsin Robin mower from 1988 that is running like a top. Almost $700 new, and that was a lot of $$ back then, but I certainly got my money out of it. And it's still paying dividends.

Thanks.

shurguywutt

Threads
What does the Lawnboy do that the Snapper can't?

Reactions: bt3

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What does the Lawnboy do that the Snapper can't?
Not one thing I can recall.

It's like the best car wax of the week. All new waxes and ceramics blah blah are always tested against the world standard Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. GrandPa used it, Dad used it, I use it........

bt3

Threads
The only advantage is lighter weight and a larger power to weight ratio on the 2 stroke Lawnboy. Of course, if it had been a dependable mower, I could boast about never having to change the oil in the 2 stroke Lawnboy, but alas, the Lawnboy has been a very high maintenance machine. Also, if I had very hilly property to mow, the Lawnboy would arguably be a better choice for mowing on steep grade mowing areas. But my lawn is basically flat,. so that's not an issue.

I bought that Snapper new in 1988 and it's still going strong. It weighs a LOT more than the Lawnboy, but it has variable speed rear wheel drive, so that's really not an issue. The Lawnboy has rear wheel drive too, but it's not needed. When I can keep the Lawnboy running, you could push it with two fingers unless you were mowing 9" grass.

I need to make a decision because I think that again, I'm in for a long diagnosis and service period with the Lawnboy. There is almost no compression, and it probably needs new piston rings, and perhaps more. It could also be the head gasket or a combination of things, including reed valves. Before I even get into it, I have to decide if it is worth it. I can't seem to get more than one season on the Lawnboy before another major service issue crops up. As opposed to the Snapper with a Wisconsin Robin 4 stroke engine that has been running without service issues (outside of regular maintenance) since 1988.

Last edited:

shurguywutt

Threads
The only advantage is lighter weight and a larger power to weight ratio on the 2 stroke Lawnboy. Of course, if it had been a dependable mower, I could boast about never having to change the oil in the 2 stroke Lawnboy, but alas, the Lawnboy has been a very high maintenance machine. Also, if I had very hilly property to mow, the Lawnboy would arguably be a better choice for mowing on steep grade mowing areas. But my lawn is basically flat,. so that's not an issue.

I bought that Snapper new in 1988 and it's still going strong. It weighs a LOT more than the Lawnboy, but it has variable speed rear wheel drive, so that's really not an issue. The Lawnboy has rear wheel drive too, but it's not needed. When I can keep the Lawnboy running, you could push it with two fingers unless you were mowing 9" grass.

I need to make a decision because I think that again, I'm in for a long diagnosis and service period with the Lawnboy. There is almost no compression, and it probably needs new piston rings, and perhaps more. It could also be the head gasket or a combination of things, including reed valves. Before I even get into it, I have to decide if it is worth it. I can't seem to get more than one season on the Lawnboy before another major service issue crops up. As opposed to the Snapper with a Wisconsin Robin 4 stroke engine that has been running without service issues (outside of regular maintenance) since 1988.
TBH if it was me I would probably just use the Snapper and keep the Lawnboy as a project mower to just tinker around with and see if I could fix it up to a reliable state. It seems like it has some sentimental value to you.

OTOH if you really want a new mower just save up and buy a Honda or Toro self-propelled. Just my 2 cents

bt3

Threads
TBH if it was me I would probably just use the Snapper and keep the Lawnboy as a project mower to just tinker around with and see if I could fix it up to a reliable state. It seems like it has some sentimental value to you.

OTOH if you really want a new mower just save up and buy a Honda or Toro self-propelled. Just my 2 cents

Thank you. Good advice.

Last edited:

bt3

Threads
Well, I tink I have decided to give this mower away. Replacing the piston rings is not easy for me to do currently. I have the repacement rings, but not the tools to do it correctly. My lawnmower repair shop wants $600 to replace the rings. Good grief. I know we are in a super-inflation market, but six bills for ring replacment when I actually have the rings ready to go? Too much. Better to get rid of the machine and buy a new one. I never used the side bagger so that's brand new. Maybe some guy can fix it and enjoy it. I have had nothing but bad luck with this 2 stroke. It really soured my taste for 2 stroke motors.

mehan

Threads
I ran a lawn-boy top of the line for a number and always thought it had the best cuT of any mower I ever owned. Loaned it out a couple of years ago and now have it back. Am thinking of selling it as I also have a Honda which is a great mower. Self propel dosen't work so well anymore and I found the spark plug hole had been partialy stripped. This unit has the blade break which is great for starting in heavy grass. Don't like selling lit with the stripped out spark plug hole and am thinking this could be fixed with a re-thread. Is that wise?? Still starts and runs OK. Any thoughts would be appreciated! My main mower is a JD LX178 which I also love.