Shorting at positive battery cable - AKA I screwed up

bobotwg

Threads
  • / Shorting at positive battery cable - AKA I screwed up
I'm back. I received the new started solenoid and ignition switch and installed them this morning.(Parts below) I hooked up the battery then went inside to get a key. Came back out and the is smoke rolling off the engine. I disconnected the starter switch (wires were HOT) and then disconnected the battery. I have no idea what happened. I didn't mess with wiring. There's no way to mess up installing the switch and I believe that the solenoid was correctly installed (picture attached). All of the red wires are on the left and the black on the right.

Stens 430-185 Ignition Switch, Replaces John Deere GY00191,Black
Starter Solenoid AM138068 725-04439 fits John Deere MTD Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor

solenoid.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have something screwed up with your solenoid wiring. The two large terminals on the solenoid should only have one large cable each. One is the cable coming from the battery (this is the cable with the large and small wire) and the other going to the starter.

bobotwg

Threads
You have something screwed up with your solenoid wiring. The two large terminals on the solenoid should only have one large cable each. One is the cable coming from the battery (this is the cable with the large and small wire) and the other going to the starter.
Thank you Rivets. I'm guessing you or someone else that looked at that picture shook their head and said "Dumb 4$$". I'll post again when this is done.
BoboTWG

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t beat yourself up over it. You might not believe this, but I’ve seen worse.

bobotwg

Threads
I removed the extra red wire from the equation. I'm back to it sounding like it's shorting out at the battery. Pic of the solenoid below. There is also a pic of the "extra".
mower5.jpg

Attachments

• mower6.jpg
    mower6.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 7

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
have you been able to trace or see where the extra red wire might go to or end?
13WNElectrical22.gif This diagram may help...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If I am seeing right he has the battery ground on one post and the battery positive on the other but techs are bad not the correct color replacement wires.

bobotwg

Threads
have you been able to trace or see where the extra red wire might go to or end?
View attachment 53233 This diagram may help...
I'm going out to try again. My uneducated eyes looks at this diagram and thinks that this mower should be much simpler to work on if they didn't put all of these safety switches. No, I'm not going to try that.

bobotwg

Threads
OK. The one thick red wire goes to the positive post on the battery. The "extra" thick wire goes to the starter motor. The thick black wire goes to the negative post of the battery.