Shorting at positive battery cable - AKA I screwed up

bobotwg

Threads
  • / Shorting at positive battery cable - AKA I screwed up
Hello people. I messed up. Troy-bilt Pony 1000. Started with an ignition switch that wore out. I was impatient (stupid) and thought that I could hot wire it and mow. Wrong answer. Sparked somewhere near the starter solenoid. Bought new solenoid and a metal ignition switch that TSC said would work. Replaced both and the 20 amp fuse located near the solenoid (blown). Tried to start and it's sparking at the positive battery cable. I have a multimeter but only know how to check continuity and voltage level. I just am not sure what to do next. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

BoboTWG

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it's sparking at the cable you have either a loose connection or a corroded cable inside the terminal I suspect.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Buying non OEM parts is not wise in lawn mowers. TSC parts might very well work. They could have different pin-outs which might be your case now.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ll bet you were given the wrong switch, they may look the say but the terminals are different. Look at the back of each switch terminal and check the letter stamped on it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What about giving us the model number off the serial number tag and the part number of the switch they sold you?

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post up pictures of all the "new" parts you bought. Details will help a lot.

slomo

keakar

Threads
Buying non OEM parts is not wise in lawn mowers. TSC parts might very well work. They could have different pin-outs which might be your case now.

slomo
this 1000x this ^^^^^^^^

as far as i know and have ever seen, those metal switches are only used for snappers and murray mowers

go buy the correct oem switch and then plug it in then undo whatever you tried to do to the wires

chances are its this one or one just like it https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Igniti...BBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads

bobotwg

Threads
If it's sparking at the cable you have either a loose connection or a corroded cable inside the terminal I suspect.
Thank you. I will follow the wires an d check. Sorry it took so long to reply, I was watching my e-mail for alerts.
Aaron