Shorting at positive battery cable - AKA I screwed up

bobotwg

Threads
  • / Shorting at positive battery cable - AKA I screwed up
BTW. I can't even figure out where the battery is on the schematic.

bobotwg

Threads
Figured it out. Google works.

bobotwg

Threads
OK. Please correct me if my brain has missed something because if no one does, I'm trying it in the morning. Looking at the wiring diagram and another basic diagram, should I have a thick red connecting to BOTH large terminals? That way power is provided to the starter when the solenoid closes? It makes sense to me. BTW Thank you all very much for your time and sharing your knowledge.
Aaron

Attachments

• Mower wiring.gif
    Mower wiring.gif
    67.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Mower simple wiring.gif
    Mower simple wiring.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 10

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think that is what I said in post #23.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think most us was trying to drop a hint but sometimes we got to take someone by the hand. With the way it was in the picture I wouldn't be surprised that the new solenoid is toast now due to the short circuit. Unless you got a solenoid shift the second image is nearly useless. Since you are having so much problems doing this either go look at another mower's setup or get someone to help that knows a little more about how to wire the mower.

Probably I am a little blunt here but being hard headed by not asking for local help with in over your head can be costly at times. Most techs are not knowledgeable about electrical wiring. That probably why a third of my repairs are electrical in nature due wiring screw ups. It was good that I spent two years studying electrons back in 77-79 and have the rest of my life working in electronics and electrical industry. It did take a little rethinking when I started seeing DC electrical circuits using AC electrical wiring color code setups. This is why we got to have the actual mower model numbers to lookup wiring diagrams as some manufactures use black (AC electrical) as positive and others use black (DC electrical) as ground (negative).

I had one guy here that listen to others over the net and had replaced his voltage regulator, starter, solenoid, and stator because his mower would not start. He finally brought it to me where I found it was simply a bad terminal at the ignition switch. He was out nearly $300 for a $0.50 terminal.

Last edited:

bobotwg

Threads
I think that is what I said in post #23.

I think I misunderstood you. I thought that to meant that only the thick black wire and one of the thick red wires should be on the large post of the solenoid. The grand-kids came by for a visit and just left. I'm going to try what I posted above. Wish me luck.
Aaron

bobotwg

Threads
I think most us was trying to drop a hint but sometimes we got to take someone by the hand. With the way it was in the picture I wouldn't be surprised that the new solenoid is toast now due to the short circuit. Unless you got a solenoid shift the second image is nearly useless. Since you are having so much problems doing this either go look at another mower's setup or get someone to help that knows a little more about how to wire the mower.

Probably I am a little blunt here but being hard headed by not asking for local help with in over your head can be costly at times. Most techs are not knowledgeable about electrical wiring. That probably why a third of my repairs are electrical in nature due wiring screw ups. It was good that I spent two studying electrons back in 77-79 and have the rest of my life working in electronics and electrical industry. It did take a little rethinking when I started seeing DC electrical circuits using AC electrical wiring color code setups. This is why we got to have the actual mower model numbers to lookup wiring diagrams as some manufactures use black (AC electrical) as positive and others use black (DC electrical) as ground (negative).

I had one guy here that listen to others over the net and had replaced his voltage regulator, starter, solenoid, and stator because his mower would not start. He finally brought it to me where I found it was simply a bad terminal at the ignition switch. He was out nearly $300 for a $0.50 terminal.

bobotwg

Threads
Don't worry about being blunt. It actually worked. I actually never thought to just go look at another's mower. I generally don't talk to people. Disabled vet with PTSD and many medical issues. Yes, I know I'm an asshole. Talked to a neighbor that I know and am going to check out his riding mower after this storm moves on. Thank you for your help.
Aaron

bobotwg

Threads
Hello people. I've got it turning over. (Exclamation point doesn't work, need new keyboard). I thank each of you from the bottom of my heart for your time and knowledge. It's not starting yet. Going to check for spark and check out the carb because I know fuel is at least reaching there. I've cleaned out smaller push mower carburetors so I'm going to watch some vids and see what happens. Closing this thread. (Do I have to do something to close it?) I'll start a new one if I need more help. Have a great rest of summer.
Aaron

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Don't worry about being blunt. It actually worked. I actually never thought to just go look at another's mower. I generally don't talk to people. Disabled vet with PTSD and many medical issues. Yes, I know I'm an asshole. Talked to a neighbor that I know and am going to check out his riding mower after this storm moves on. Thank you for your help.
Aaron
Thank you for your service to our country.