Shop press

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Been thinking about getting a hydraulic press for my shop. I see cheap presses that run anywhere from 160 to 200 dollars. They also have different tonnage, from 5 to 20 ton. I would like to use it for bearings and every once in a wile to straighten something. Has anyone have one of these presses in there shop, what tonnage, and how well do they work for you. The cheaper presses just use a bottle jack in a frame. I have used the big commensal presses in the bigger shops but never one of these cheaper bottle jack style.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have one of the Chinese 20 ton presses from a farm store. I works fairly well for pressing bearings and such. I have problems with mine trying to kick to the side somewhat due to loose tolerances, on things that don't want to sit totally level. I find I use mine more than I thought would.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have one of the Chinese 20 ton presses from a farm store. I works fairly well for pressing bearings and such. I have problems with mine trying to kick to the side somewhat due to loose tolerances, on things that don't want to sit totally level. I find I use mine more than I thought would.

Do you need the 20 ton or could you get by with the 12 ton? Just thinking the less tonnage it would work a little faster and the bars would be lighter to adjust?? They both run around the same price.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Troops,
I've had this 20 ton press since the mid 80s. I just went looking for the paperwork for it but didn't find it, so I'm not sure who made it. I've seen the same press sometimes while looking thru some of the tool dealers on line. It is 65" tall and 29" wide with a Chinese 20 ton bottle jack. The "T" handle on the valve of the bottle jack is my addition for easy release. In the top is where I store the larger pressing tools that I have collected. When I bought this press, the shipping was more than the price of the press!!! It had to be delivered by a truck with a tailgate lift. It has been a good unit. I have looked at some of the 12 ton Chinese press in kit form, terrible tolerances in the bolt holes, crap hardware supplied with them and more negatives.
At some of the places that I've worked there were presses from OTC and other quality manufacturers, but the prices were way up there. One can get spoiled using quality equipment!!!
This press is a 30 ton rated frame with a 20 ton rated bottle jack.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Attachments

• PA110008.JPG
    PA110008.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PA110007.JPG
    PA110007.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 9
  • PA110006.JPG
    PA110006.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just don't want to spend big money for a good quality press at my age anymore seeing it wouldn't be used very much. I just don't like installing bearing with a hammer. I was thinking a cheap press is better then a hammer. I see they also make smaller table top presses, but I like the looks of the floor models better. I was leaning more for the 12 ton then the 20 ton, sure hope I'm not sorry. How heavy are the adjustable press bars on your 20 ton seeing they look like they have to be lifted and lowered by hand??? and that is my main reason for thinking the 12 ton press over the 20 ton. Can they be lifted and lowered with a come-a-long?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I remove any plates etc and move the bar by hand one side and one pin hole at a time. I also have the next to the smallest arbor press to do small work on. A larger arbor press may work for you, but they need to mounted on a broad footed stand, plus they can get heavy as they get bigger, but a thought.
This has been a good press for me, I have done bearing removal/installation on some long items with the bar all the way down, not sure I
would do those jobs now at almost 71!!
I would say that a floor model is the way to go, only liked table models that had a PortaPower type hydraulic driven cylinder, but big $$$$$$.
You can move a floor model around easier, no table to deal with.
If you do go with a floor model, put a 2"X 4" under the feet, should something give way while pressing, the shock will be mostly absorbed by the wood.

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the 30 ton H Frt model which has an A configuration at the top. It is not as solid looking as Mad Mackie's, but has been a good unit. The frame is the "erection set" style with adjustment holes. I bought this around 2000 on sale for $160, but stuff was missing when the tractor trailer delivered it. In one of the only hassles ever with H Frt I finally ended up with 1-1/2 press frames, but still not everything I needed so I made the missing stuff-easy. Before this I only had a 3 ton arbor press now stored away. If you have even a small urge for one , buy it and you will not be disappointed.

Here are some of the uses I have put this unit to...Bearings, seals, suspension bushing removal and replacement, making small parts, using to test auto spring rates, as a fixture during a transmission rebuild . You can change the crossbar alone, one pin at a time. The 30 ton bottle jack is not necessary, but I have never had to use the long arm on it. Only nuisance on mine is that the retraction springs do not fully return the ram (jack piston) to the down position so I usually have to help it (the last 1/2 " travel). A key to versatility is a collection of tube, pipe, plate as Mackie's 2nd pic shows for set ups. Start saving old bearing cups, auto hubs , pipe , etc. Sockets can be used. You may find access to a lathe useful in difficult set ups. Sometimes I wish for the 100 ton ironman type with real press punch capability, but these littler ones are a great addition.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you need the 20 ton or could you get by with the 12 ton? Just thinking the less tonnage it would work a little faster and the bars would be lighter to adjust?? They both run around the same price.

Most of th time I could get by with a smaller press, but then you run into something stubborn and which you have 100 ton.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I went to HF and bought the 20 ton press. I get it home to put it together and all the hardware is missing. So tomorrow I will make a trip to Tractor supply to buy the hardware. It will be cheaper for me to buy my own hardware then making another 160 mile trip to HF. It also looks like the bolts that comes with the press are too small according to the set up manual. It calls for 12MM bolts and I find standard 1/2 bolts fit just fine and 12MM are very loose. One of the big shops I worked in had a 100 ton press and some times that press wasn't enough when changing fork truck tires. For what I bought my press for I hope it will be just fine and I know it has to be better then a BFH. Yes now I will have to make a collation old sockets and bearing races to press with. I will take some pictures when I get it set up.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
My buddy has a home made one welded a frame together and a bottle jack he got at the scrap yard from a doomed car. He uses it for everything and I've used it a few times with great sucess