Setting the gap on OHV Troybilt Pony 17.5hp.

Jackin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need help with adjusting the valves on my riding mower. I have sought out extensively the gap to set the valves, with varied opinions. Does anyone know what measurement to gap to OHV valve, for below mentioned motor?

Here are my specs:
model Number: 13AN77KS011/211 - Troybilt Pony 42inch
Motor:12 0511 ZA 23647 - Power Built 17.5 Gross HP 500 CC / Briggs-stratton

I would like to give this solution I have found to save anyone else from ever having to go through what it took to find this. thanks all

It took three full days, I found the measurements here at:
http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com...cal_shaft_engines/276781SingleCylinderOHV.pdf

Valve Clearance – Intake .003 - .005 in. (.08 - .13 mm)
Valve Clearance – Exhaust .005 - .007 in. (.13 - .18 mm)

Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I need help with adjusting the valves on my riding mower. I have sought out extensively the gap to set the valves, with varied opinions. I have tried to find TDC of the (I believe horizontal piston) with no clear instruction. The motor stops turning at compression point and I have not succeeded in a remedy. Is there anyone who can help me,I do appreciate your time and help. Here are my specs: model Number: 13AN77KS011/211 - Troybilt Pony 42inch Motor:12 0511 ZA 23647 - Power Built 17.5 Gross HP 500 CC

Take spark plug out take valve cover off.
Turn engine counterclockwise two full turns and stop when one valve is open all the way. ( pushed in )
Then adjust the other valve to specks
Do the same for the other valve.

Jackin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take spark plug out take valve cover off.
Turn engine counterclockwise two full turns and stop when one valve is open all the way. ( pushed in )
Then adjust the other valve to specks
Do the same for the other valve.

Thank you, I tried with the same result. The suggested gaps I have encountered are .004 for both intake/exhaust, .004 intake .006 for exhaust, .005 intake .009 exhaust. There have been others, having a difficult time finding the right number. Is there anything else that could be causing compression stall on before spark plug? The 2012 mower is a year old and has a good battery/starter, all that.