Seized Blade Boss, which heating torch??

Widget

Threads
Hey guys,

I have a blade boss that won't come off. I've tried a 2 jaw puller.. and even that (and the metal bolt in the middle) is squishing .. this thing wont budge and I'm tempted to smack it with a hammer. Someone suggested heating the boss to expand it and break it free.

I'm looking to now buy a Propane Torch.. but.. I have no idea what I need, or how hot I need to get the part(s). What do you guys recommend in the way of portable torches (cheap priced).

I was looking at bunnings and supercheap auto and came across, (australia)

Hot Devil Propane Torch Kit - Supercheap Auto Australia

Tradeflame Propane Handyman Full Flame Blow Torch Kit I/N 5910245 | Bunnings Warehouse

Tradeflame Propane Handyman Pinpoint Blow Torch Kit I/N 5910244 | Bunnings Warehouse

Dont really know the differences. Are there any that have refillable canisters ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have found that propane torches just don't do much as far as heating. The torch I use for small jobs is a mapp/oxy portable torch, and the torch that I use for most heating jobs, including stuck blade mounts is the acetylene/oxygen torch. I have had cases where I have had to cherry the blade mount to get them to move.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Over the years Harris oxy-acetylene, but to my surprise the HFrt chinese set for $100 is better. Your big investment is the tanks . Small ones do go on sale at H-Frt. The big ones are expensive. Be sure you know what you are doing with heat . Study the color charts...dull red, cherry red , yellow, white (steel) or better yet use a welders heat-crayon or get an infra red temp gun. Good luck.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess you will have to decide if it is worth repairing this yourself or have someone do it with the right equipment. A acetylene outfit here in the US can run around 500 dollars with the tanks. Don't know about Australia prices. This is what you will need to heat this hot enough to remove. It just might be cheaper to cut off the old blade buss with a cutting wheel and replace it with a new one. Which brings us back to the person with the right tools???

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cut it off with a dremmel tool and liberally never seeze the new install.

Widget

Threads
Thanks guys,

What about MAPP/Air Torches ?

I've looked into Oxy+Gas options, but they too are quite expensive here in Australia... looking at a few hundred. At this stage I can't afford to invest in something like that for basic home use/ hobby use.

I've thought about cutting it off.. I do have a spare Boss here.. not sure if it's a direct fit or not though.

This was something I wanted to do myself.. self learning and hobby.. repairing small engines/mowers etc.. We have a mower here to use, just picked this one up cheap, so was gonna get it running and sell it off. I always seem to be stuck at this part of the mower though.. so working out the best ways to removing these stuck parts would be super.

Thanks again, :)

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks guys,

What about MAPP/Air Torches ?

I've looked into Oxy+Gas options, but they too are quite expensive here in Australia... looking at a few hundred. At this stage I can't afford to invest in something like that for basic home use/ hobby use.

I've thought about cutting it off.. I do have a spare Boss here.. not sure if it's a direct fit or not though.

This was something I wanted to do myself.. self learning and hobby.. repairing small engines/mowers etc.. We have a mower here to use, just picked this one up cheap, so was gonna get it running and sell it off. I always seem to be stuck at this part of the mower though.. so working out the best ways to removing these stuck parts would be super.

Thanks again, :)

I was thinking about getting the MAPP/Oxygen myself. The only thing is that I heard that the oxygen tank doesn't last very long. I really don't know why it wouldn't work for light duty home use for heating and light duty welding. You get what you pay for. The biggest expense with the Oxygen/acetylene outfit is buying the tanks. I know some places here in the states you can rent the tanks. You will have to ask yourself just how much money you want to invest into tools and is it something you really need and will use. You can get by with just a Mapp gas outfit if all you will use it for is heat.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's what I was thinking and if he owns a dremmel tool?

In my opinion everyone needs to own a Dremmel for so many things besides mower repair.

I actually bought mine about 30 years ago to solve a plumbing problem. Call a plumber for a 60 mile round trip service call and it's paid for several times over. I also was glad I bought reinforced cutting disks because those that came with the tool suck.

Bob E

Threads
Seems like penetrating oil, a propane torch, a gear puller and some patience should do the trick...
Refill propane bottle search on youtube
Those reinforced cut off wheels are about the only real use I've ever found for the dremel.