Seems Hard Start Hot

OldDiyer

Threads
So, about a week or so I posted about my Craftsman tractor not starting good on a hill but now am having same issue but seems whenever it gets hot after cutting grass and I let it set for a while it is hard to start, like it is flooding because it starts hard and seems to be rich starting. Outside of this it is running well but this is not the way I want keep this up. Before I start any type of repair I am hoped to get some advice up front. Thinking it is a fuel problem and trying to diagnose the problem I just checked a few minor things; this machine is serviced well so most things are checked over. I checked air filter and pre filter and they are fine, choke is opening fully, so what I did to get a little better idea I had it warmed up good and let it set a bit and hard start, to cancel out things I pinched off the fuel line after the filter and fuel pump let it set a bit and it started just fine did this a few times and seems to start fine. I do hear the carb solenoid switching, is it possible that the fuel pump for some reason is letting fuel to the carb when not needed and causing the problem? Is there a way to check the pump for this problem. I don't want to half a-- this repair and would like to fix it correctly. I will wait for your info before I start buying parts I don't really need.
Briggs & Stratton
21.5 HP I/C Platinum Intek
YBSXS>7242VF 274844
Model: 445777
Type 0154 E1
Code 100418Y G
Craftsman Model 917.272452
Thanks in Advance

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does that have that auto-choke deal on it ?

OldDiyer

Threads
No this does not have an auto choke it is manual.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say there is a possible issue with the float valve not sealing and allowing the carb to overfill when sitting causing a flooding issue. The fuel pump is vacuum and will allow fuel to flow through it by gravity if the fuel level in the tank is above the fuel pump. Also the fuel solenoid on the carb just prevents the afterfire bang when shutoff, it will not prevent the carb from overflowing and flooding the engine.

OldDiyer

Threads
If it is the needle and seat, wouldn't I be getting some running problem when the engine is running after startup? Just thinking back to my car repair days and bad float seal would cause over fueling running. I was thinking maybe carb issue but wasn't wanting to go there unless I had to. To order a rebuild kit is it smart to use the factory kit or can I go after market? Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It could be leaking slow enough to drain the fuel between the pump and the carb over a few hours, but not leaking bad enough to causing overfueling while running. And I would stay with the factory kit. Have had issues with aftermarket kits sometimes. Can be hit and miss and you won't know until after installed.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I pinched off the fuel line after the filter and fuel pump let it set a bit and it started just fine did this a few times and seems to start fine.
To me, sounds like a leaky needle and seat. Those need to be pressure tested to 7psi. Spray some lube on the needle, needle must be wet. Test for 30 minutes. Should not drop in psi.
I do hear the carb solenoid switching,
That tells you nothing. Need to remove it from the carb body. Turn the key on and off. The plunger should extend with key off. Yours could have a corroded plunger rod or other issue. Just hearing a click tells you zero. You have to test these parts to verify they work. Like oh the spark plugs "look good". Nope....... Doesn't mean they will fire under compression.
is it possible that the fuel pump for some reason is letting fuel to the carb when not needed and causing the problem?
Carb needle/seat controls this IF it is working proper.

OldDiyer

Threads
Just to let you know, I am going to do some hands-on testing tomorrow. Will post results to get your input. I do have a few short cut ideas to try to test that needle and seat so will get back to you all after I try them on the tractor. Before I went nuts, I wanted to wait for a little more input and guess it is going to the same place so time to do some testing.

OldDiyer

Threads
So did the testing and found this, when I first started, I pulled the fuel line and blew into it and no restriction and could hear air going into carburetor tells me after setting the fuel is low now mind you carburetor is still mounted to tractor and will also still run. Run the tractor so carb gets filled with fuel and start with a vaccum test to line as I figure with fuel pushing float should seal run vacuum up to about 7in and let it set, 15 mins and vacuum is gone and also, I have gas in my hand pump FAIL. Run again to fill up bowel with fuel and set up to do the pressure test hardly got 2lbs pressure and same thing hear the air escaping to intake FAIL. Now I am still not 100% certain this is a float problem but because of having low fuel to start with to me there has to be something going on in this carburetor.
Next take advice and call a known good parts and repair store also an Ace Hardware but also know they do a big online parts business. Call give them the 797890 part number and tell them I want the OEM kit looks it up and we have it $87.76 plus tax OK I'm on my way. When I get there, they had me a blister pack all it has on it is a little sticker with the part number and about half of the Briggs name but then I also notice package origin China. So question the counter guy and right away he gets a manager, and I tell him I wanted the OEM kit and if I wanted the run of the mill kit, I would get it for $12.00 online. He tells me all these come from China, and I just tell him Well than why are you selling them for Briggs list prices and left the store. Needless to say, I ordered online but will have to wait till early next week for it to get to me. At least I can still use the tractor as is till I get the parts to rebuild the carburetor. Thanks again for the help and will keep you posted as to how I come out.