sears GT14, need some help

frantz65

Threads
well I had it idling great was even able to drive it a bit! then all of a sudden just died starts up and dies again. no idea why its doing this. ive gotten in tractors that had the carb gummed up that bad I didn't think it would ever run again that tuned in minutes. Max rpm is also barely above idle.(arm moves when tractor isn't running) ready to take it to the shop and pay to have it done... cant figure it out

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You just may have beads of water rolling around in your tank, filter, and carb.....

frantz65

Threads
im going to drain the tank and flush it good tomorrow. as for the not revving issue im not sure. long as it runs good I think I can get it sold( I hope)

tybilly

Threads
my dad bought one of those brand new in 1978,had a snowblower,1bottom plow,1 row cultivator,a disc,and a planter all 3pt hitch,your pic brought back lots of memories,when he plowed I had to sit on the hood for weight.lol thankyou

jhngardner367

Threads
OK! The screw ,just above the float,is the idle mixture adjustment. Turn it IN,until it LIGHTLY seats,then OUT 1&1/4 turns.
The screw nearest the air cleaner,is the high - speed mixture screw. Turn it in to lightly seat,then OUT,1&3/4 turn.
Start the engine,and warm it up,& set it to idle position, then,SLOWLY turn the idle mixture screw in,until it stumbles,and note this position.
Back it out,until it smooths out,then out more until it stumbles. Turn it IN,again until it smooths out,+1/2 turn.
Next, set the throttle at full,and slowly turn the high speed screw in,until it changes rpm.
Back it out,until it just smooths out,then out some more,until it changes speed.
Turn it in,until max rpm is reached,then put the throttle on idle,and QUICKLY run it to full.
Any stumbling/black smoke turn it in 1/4 turn,until it is right.

Special note: These carbs are very touchy,and can be messed up with even the slightest dirt,water in fuel,etc.