SD Raptor won't move

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Great. I appreciate your finding that out.
Just installed a bracket upgrade kit in Hustler Raptor yesterday. 3 out of 6 brackets were broken and 1 was bent. Hustler is not a great mower that is for sure. Also battery box bracket broken and will weld it. Problem was that customer replaced 2 separate drive belts and couldn’t keep them from breaking or coming off. This was caused by hydros shifting from broken brackets.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I remember when I first started seeing the 42" Raptors here they were coming in missing or loose screws. They started out using plain nuts. Now they have learned to use lock nuts, Another problem I have seen on the 42" Raptors is the left hand hydro fan blades curling from heat. They will curl so much that start hitting the frame and sometimes getting up into the belt path. Both ways causes belts to break. A third problem is the 2 inch drive belt idle tends to go bad breaking drive belts.

Now of course there is a lot these mowers out there and I just get the ones that break down. But I stock the fans, belts, and pulleys. And now I even stock a couple set mounting bracket kits since they are fairly reasonable off Amazon. About a third of the Hustler OEM brackets.

Of course it like everything else the problems comes in batches and then none for long time so I have parts just sitting in inventory.

packy51

Threads
My 3 year expierence with my 54 inch Raptor was good until recently. I didn't have belt issues until both the front and rear left hydro support brackets broke. All videos I've seen deal with the left hydro...why? The beefier set from Amazon should help with that. The other issue that cropped up was at the 200 maint scehdule. After completing that, the right hydro oil filter started leaking where it meets it's base. I did manage to tighten it a bit more past recommend tightening, but it's still leaking. i was just trying to deal with the leak during prime mowing season, but now have a chance to deal with it. i'm leaning towards a defective hydro gear filter, unless someone has had this issue also. If issues continue adding up, I may have to consider going back to Scag. However, I don't know if their manufacturing has gone downhill as well.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It could very well be just a defective filter. I have filters in the past to leak. I even got that had stress crack in the cup that didn't show up due the paint until they got hot. Then paint soften and leak appeared. Also could that some trash got under seal when you installed the filter.

As quality of equipment it all seems to have suffered lately with the penny pinchers at work. Buying cheapest thing they can and selling at the highest price they can get by with Lately I have been finding some aftermarket parts are better quality than the OEM parts.

An example is a Briggs v-twin sump gasket. I had one engine that blew out three OEM gaskets but since I brought an aftermarket gasket it going all year so far without any oil leaks related to the sump gasket. Glad too as it is major job to get the engine off and on the Super Z.

Now I got a Gravely in that some how broke off the battery cable to starter at the starter. El Cheapo terminals. Will install rebuilt cable that has cable lugs instead those thin terminals. The project is a major job as the engine has to come off just to get the starter nuts. Simply no way to get to it other wise on the HD52. I am still wondering how it got broken in the first place as there was no stress on the cable.

And this year seems to one for PITA mower problems, all have been major jobs.

packy51

Threads
It could very well be just a defective filter. I have filters in the past to leak. I even got that had stress crack in the cup that didn't show up due the paint until they got hot. Then paint soften and leak appeared. Also could that some trash got under seal when you installed the filter.

As quality of equipment it all seems to have suffered lately with the penny pinchers at work. Buying cheapest thing they can and selling at the highest price they can get by with Lately I have been finding some aftermarket parts are better quality than the OEM parts.

An example is a Briggs v-twin sump gasket. I had one engine that blew out three OEM gaskets but since I brought an aftermarket gasket it going all year so far without any oil leaks related to the sump gasket. Glad too as it is major job to get the engine off and on the Super Z.

Now I got a Gravely in that some how broke off the battery cable to starter at the starter. El Cheapo terminals. Will install rebuilt cable that has cable lugs instead those thin terminals. The project is a major job as the engine has to come off just to get the starter nuts. Simply no way to get to it other wise on the HD52. I am still wondering how it got broken in the first place as there was no stress on the cable.

And this year seems to one for PITA mower problems, all have been major jobs.
One thing I can say is the Kawasaki FR691V motor has been great, but I only have 250 hrs. on it. I did get 20 years and1,300 hrs on my Kohler Command Pro 22 on the Scag before having issues.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
My 3 year expierence with my 54 inch Raptor was good until recently. I didn't have belt issues until both the front and rear left hydro support brackets broke. All videos I've seen deal with the left hydro...why? The beefier set from Amazon should help with that. The other issue that cropped up was at the 200 maint scehdule. After completing that, the right hydro oil filter started leaking where it meets it's base. I did manage to tighten it a bit more past recommend tightening, but it's still leaking. i was just trying to deal with the leak during prime mowing season, but now have a chance to deal with it. i'm leaning towards a defective hydro gear filter, unless someone has had this issue also. If issues continue adding up, I may have to consider going back to Scag. However, I don't know if their manufacturing has gone downhill as well.
Believe me, Scag has continued their record of excellence, reliability, cut quality, resell value, etc. While Hustler, in my opinion, is just a run of the mill cheaply built mower.

packy51

Threads
Believe me, Scag has continued their record of excellence, reliability, cut quality, resell value, etc. While Hustler, in my opinion, is just a run of the mill cheaply built mower.
lesson learned. I let the better trade in value with the Hustler and lower cost for their mower sway me.

DK35vince

Threads
A Hustler Raptor, yea cheap built. I agree.
A Hustler Super Z, built heavy duty. I've owned one for 11 years.
The thing is a tank.
My parents Hustler Fastrak has been a very good/solid mower since 2008. Still going strong.
I have never liked the Raptors.

Last edited:

packy51

Threads
A Hustler Raptor, yea cheap built. I agree.
A Hustler Super Z, built heavy duty. I've owned one for 11 years.
The thing is a tank.
My parents Hustler Fastrak has been a very good/solid mower since 2008. Still going strong.
I have never liked the Raptors.
The Super Z is their commercial mower, not sure about the Fastrak. it could be their residential mowers just arent built as well, but they should be.

packy51

Threads
I wanted to update my post. After taking the wheels off, the left side hydro bracket was cracked. I did replace all the brackets with the upgrade kit and the mower is running fine now. I recommend anyone with an older SD Raptor do a preventive maint and replace the hydro support brackets. I don't know if Hustler is now installng these on the Raptors, or when they started, if they are. Seeing, as I had to fix this issue, I might as well address the right hydro oil filter leak which I was planning on dealing with after the mowing season. Somehow, I missed that this OE Hydro Gear oil filter had a double O ring on it. I always lube the O ring when installing, but missed this when installing. This prevented the oil filter from fully sealing. with it's base. I'm up and mowing again. I think the bracket replacement will help with the belt slipping off issue as well. If this resolves all my issues, I'll be happy with the Raptor. Unless, there are some other flimsy parts that'll need replacing.