Export thread

SD Raptor won't move

packy51

packy51

I have two issues here. First, the mower started moving jerky and then came to a complete stop. I wanted to freewheel the mower to a better location to look at it and found that the left hydro release lever won't move enough to lock it into the release position so I can push the mower. I'm thinking the drive belt probably came off, but any idea on the hydro release lever not fully moving?

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I have two issues here. First, the mower started moving jerky and then came to a complete stop. I wanted to freewheel the mower to a better location to look at it and found that the left hydro release lever won't move enough to lock it into the release position so I can push the mower. I'm thinking the drive belt probably came off, but any idea on the hydro release lever not fully moving?
Put penetrating oil on the base of lever on transaxle and use a pliers to move it until it frees up. Check drive belt to make sure it is on all the pulleys correctly.

packy51

packy51

Put penetrating oil on the base of lever on transaxle and use a pliers to move it until it frees up. Check drive belt to make sure it is on all the pulleys correctly.
Thanks for replying. After fully checking the mower, I found the left hydro bracket with the hole in it for locking the hydro release valve on had completely split and the lower part was misaligned. This preventing me from actually being able to lock the hydro release lever. I pushed the upper portion back into place and was able to lock the release lever. I then got the drive belt which has slipped off back on. The right hydro is now working but something happened to the left hydro. I think it is not lined up properly due to the broken support bracket. There are several videos on YouTube and these people had the same cracked hydro support bracket. It is always the left side and not the right side. They planned on welding it. I plan on replacing the bracket. Figures my warranty was up last month.

H

hlw49

They make a Kit to replace all the hydro brackets as well as the brackets that hold the axles on are about three times as thick as the orignal. This is what happens when manufactures go into the big box stores the quality goes south. Check with the dealer on this.

packy51

packy51

Kool...thanks.

StarTech

StarTech

You need to order and install the transaxle mounting bracket kit PN 125255. They beefed up the metal thickness to stop the flexing and breaking the brackets. The main center bracket the attaches at the axles is now a lot thicker, is three bolt to frame design along a backer plate.

Also the Red Dog version of this mower also has the same problem. The only difference is the Red Dog is red and the Hustler is yellow painted.
I want to make a correction here. I keep calling the Big Dog mower a Red Dog. Just how I how I remember them. Sorry calling by the wrong name.
I just install the third kit this year on customer mowers.

1718622257179.png
In the bottom center of the image you seen that third mounting hole. Installation instruction calls for drilling a 7/16 hole when it need to 3/8 to match the 3/8 screws.
No point making the hole bigger than necessary. Also this can be installed without removing if you are resourceful enough which is what I did on the last mower but still needed the jack stands and hydraulic jack. Also you can't simply to the jack stands at the rear as the engine guard is attached using the same screws as the rear transaxle brackets; hence, you raise the motor on the jack and replace the rear brackets first then you can use the jack stands for clearance on the rest of the job as the wheels has to be removed.

packy51

packy51

Kool...thanks.
Yes, I did find this very kit on Amazon and will order. I'm glad my 2019 at least has the newer and thicker crossmember supporting the hydros. It would be interesting to find out how the newer Hustlers are built now that Hustler was sold to Stanley Black and Decker. Stanley (tools) was an excellent company but Black and Decker made cheap crap. This machine replaced my 20 yo three wheeler Scag which never gave me any issues until towards the end. Of course, it was a simpler mower with only one hydro. I might go back to Scag if this mower keeps having issues. i got a better trade in deal for my old Scag from the Hustler dealer than the Scag dealer, so I went with the Hustler. That might have been a mistake.

packy51

packy51

Kool...thanks.
Yes, I did find this very kit on Amazon and will order. I'm glad my 2019 at least has the newer and thicker crossmember supporting the hydros. It would be interesting to find out how the newer Hustlers are built now that Hustler was sold to Stanley Black and Decker. Stanley (tools) was an excellent company but Black and Decker made cheap crap. this mach
You need to order and install the transaxle mounting bracket kit PN 125255. They beefed up the metal thickness to stop the flexing and breaking the brackets. The main center bracket the attaches at the axles is now a lot thicker, is three bolt to frame design along a backer plate.

Also the Red Dog version of this mower also has the same problem. The only difference is the Red Dog is red and the Hustler is yellow painted.
I want to make a correction here. I keep calling the Big Dog mower a Red Dog. Just how I how I remember them. Sorry calling by the wrong name.
I just install the third kit this year on customer mowers.

View attachment 68961
In the bottom center of the image you seen that third mounting hole. Installation instruction calls for drilling a 7/16 hole when it need to 3/8 to match the 3/8 screws.
No point making the hole bigger than necessary. Also this can be installed without removing if you are resourceful enough which is what I did on the last mower but still needed the jack stands and hydraulic jack. Also you can't simply to the jack stands at the rear as the engine guard is attached using the same screws as the rear transaxle brackets; hence, you raise the motor on the jack and replace the rear brackets first then you can use the jack stands for clearance on the rest of the job as the wheels has to be removed.
I checked out this kit and my model # isn't listed. my model number is 938670 which is higher than all listed models. Maybe, this is for older SD Raptors. It might fit or it might not depending on any changes Hustler might have made with 2019 model

StarTech

StarTech

According to parts look-up for your model, it uses the 125255 kit.
1718638195179.png

packy51

packy51

According to parts look-up for your model, it uses the 125255 kit.
View attachment 68964
Great. I appreciate your finding that out.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Great. I appreciate your finding that out.
Just installed a bracket upgrade kit in Hustler Raptor yesterday. 3 out of 6 brackets were broken and 1 was bent. Hustler is not a great mower that is for sure. Also battery box bracket broken and will weld it. Problem was that customer replaced 2 separate drive belts and couldn’t keep them from breaking or coming off. This was caused by hydros shifting from broken brackets.

StarTech

StarTech

I remember when I first started seeing the 42" Raptors here they were coming in missing or loose screws. They started out using plain nuts. Now they have learned to use lock nuts, Another problem I have seen on the 42" Raptors is the left hand hydro fan blades curling from heat. They will curl so much that start hitting the frame and sometimes getting up into the belt path. Both ways causes belts to break. A third problem is the 2 inch drive belt idle tends to go bad breaking drive belts.

Now of course there is a lot these mowers out there and I just get the ones that break down. But I stock the fans, belts, and pulleys. And now I even stock a couple set mounting bracket kits since they are fairly reasonable off Amazon. About a third of the Hustler OEM brackets.

Of course it like everything else the problems comes in batches and then none for long time so I have parts just sitting in inventory.

packy51

packy51

My 3 year expierence with my 54 inch Raptor was good until recently. I didn't have belt issues until both the front and rear left hydro support brackets broke. All videos I've seen deal with the left hydro...why? The beefier set from Amazon should help with that. The other issue that cropped up was at the 200 maint scehdule. After completing that, the right hydro oil filter started leaking where it meets it's base. I did manage to tighten it a bit more past recommend tightening, but it's still leaking. i was just trying to deal with the leak during prime mowing season, but now have a chance to deal with it. i'm leaning towards a defective hydro gear filter, unless someone has had this issue also. If issues continue adding up, I may have to consider going back to Scag. However, I don't know if their manufacturing has gone downhill as well.

StarTech

StarTech

It could very well be just a defective filter. I have filters in the past to leak. I even got that had stress crack in the cup that didn't show up due the paint until they got hot. Then paint soften and leak appeared. Also could that some trash got under seal when you installed the filter.

As quality of equipment it all seems to have suffered lately with the penny pinchers at work. Buying cheapest thing they can and selling at the highest price they can get by with Lately I have been finding some aftermarket parts are better quality than the OEM parts.

An example is a Briggs v-twin sump gasket. I had one engine that blew out three OEM gaskets but since I brought an aftermarket gasket it going all year so far without any oil leaks related to the sump gasket. Glad too as it is major job to get the engine off and on the Super Z.

Now I got a Gravely in that some how broke off the battery cable to starter at the starter. El Cheapo terminals. Will install rebuilt cable that has cable lugs instead those thin terminals. The project is a major job as the engine has to come off just to get the starter nuts. Simply no way to get to it other wise on the HD52. I am still wondering how it got broken in the first place as there was no stress on the cable.

And this year seems to one for PITA mower problems, all have been major jobs.

packy51

packy51

It could very well be just a defective filter. I have filters in the past to leak. I even got that had stress crack in the cup that didn't show up due the paint until they got hot. Then paint soften and leak appeared. Also could that some trash got under seal when you installed the filter.

As quality of equipment it all seems to have suffered lately with the penny pinchers at work. Buying cheapest thing they can and selling at the highest price they can get by with Lately I have been finding some aftermarket parts are better quality than the OEM parts.

An example is a Briggs v-twin sump gasket. I had one engine that blew out three OEM gaskets but since I brought an aftermarket gasket it going all year so far without any oil leaks related to the sump gasket. Glad too as it is major job to get the engine off and on the Super Z.

Now I got a Gravely in that some how broke off the battery cable to starter at the starter. El Cheapo terminals. Will install rebuilt cable that has cable lugs instead those thin terminals. The project is a major job as the engine has to come off just to get the starter nuts. Simply no way to get to it other wise on the HD52. I am still wondering how it got broken in the first place as there was no stress on the cable.

And this year seems to one for PITA mower problems, all have been major jobs.
One thing I can say is the Kawasaki FR691V motor has been great, but I only have 250 hrs. on it. I did get 20 years and1,300 hrs on my Kohler Command Pro 22 on the Scag before having issues.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

My 3 year expierence with my 54 inch Raptor was good until recently. I didn't have belt issues until both the front and rear left hydro support brackets broke. All videos I've seen deal with the left hydro...why? The beefier set from Amazon should help with that. The other issue that cropped up was at the 200 maint scehdule. After completing that, the right hydro oil filter started leaking where it meets it's base. I did manage to tighten it a bit more past recommend tightening, but it's still leaking. i was just trying to deal with the leak during prime mowing season, but now have a chance to deal with it. i'm leaning towards a defective hydro gear filter, unless someone has had this issue also. If issues continue adding up, I may have to consider going back to Scag. However, I don't know if their manufacturing has gone downhill as well.
Believe me, Scag has continued their record of excellence, reliability, cut quality, resell value, etc. While Hustler, in my opinion, is just a run of the mill cheaply built mower.

packy51

packy51

Believe me, Scag has continued their record of excellence, reliability, cut quality, resell value, etc. While Hustler, in my opinion, is just a run of the mill cheaply built mower.
lesson learned. I let the better trade in value with the Hustler and lower cost for their mower sway me.

D

DK35vince

A Hustler Raptor, yea cheap built. I agree.
A Hustler Super Z, built heavy duty. I've owned one for 11 years.
The thing is a tank.
My parents Hustler Fastrak has been a very good/solid mower since 2008. Still going strong.
I have never liked the Raptors.

packy51

packy51

A Hustler Raptor, yea cheap built. I agree.
A Hustler Super Z, built heavy duty. I've owned one for 11 years.
The thing is a tank.
My parents Hustler Fastrak has been a very good/solid mower since 2008. Still going strong.
I have never liked the Raptors.
The Super Z is their commercial mower, not sure about the Fastrak. it could be their residential mowers just arent built as well, but they should be.

packy51

packy51

I wanted to update my post. After taking the wheels off, the left side hydro bracket was cracked. I did replace all the brackets with the upgrade kit and the mower is running fine now. I recommend anyone with an older SD Raptor do a preventive maint and replace the hydro support brackets. I don't know if Hustler is now installng these on the Raptors, or when they started, if they are. Seeing, as I had to fix this issue, I might as well address the right hydro oil filter leak which I was planning on dealing with after the mowing season. Somehow, I missed that this OE Hydro Gear oil filter had a double O ring on it. I always lube the O ring when installing, but missed this when installing. This prevented the oil filter from fully sealing. with it's base. I'm up and mowing again. I think the bracket replacement will help with the belt slipping off issue as well. If this resolves all my issues, I'll be happy with the Raptor. Unless, there are some other flimsy parts that'll need replacing.