SD Raptor won't move

packy51

Threads
I have two issues here. First, the mower started moving jerky and then came to a complete stop. I wanted to freewheel the mower to a better location to look at it and found that the left hydro release lever won't move enough to lock it into the release position so I can push the mower. I'm thinking the drive belt probably came off, but any idea on the hydro release lever not fully moving?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I have two issues here. First, the mower started moving jerky and then came to a complete stop. I wanted to freewheel the mower to a better location to look at it and found that the left hydro release lever won't move enough to lock it into the release position so I can push the mower. I'm thinking the drive belt probably came off, but any idea on the hydro release lever not fully moving?
Put penetrating oil on the base of lever on transaxle and use a pliers to move it until it frees up. Check drive belt to make sure it is on all the pulleys correctly.

packy51

Threads
Put penetrating oil on the base of lever on transaxle and use a pliers to move it until it frees up. Check drive belt to make sure it is on all the pulleys correctly.
Thanks for replying. After fully checking the mower, I found the left hydro bracket with the hole in it for locking the hydro release valve on had completely split and the lower part was misaligned. This preventing me from actually being able to lock the hydro release lever. I pushed the upper portion back into place and was able to lock the release lever. I then got the drive belt which has slipped off back on. The right hydro is now working but something happened to the left hydro. I think it is not lined up properly due to the broken support bracket. There are several videos on YouTube and these people had the same cracked hydro support bracket. It is always the left side and not the right side. They planned on welding it. I plan on replacing the bracket. Figures my warranty was up last month.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
They make a Kit to replace all the hydro brackets as well as the brackets that hold the axles on are about three times as thick as the orignal. This is what happens when manufactures go into the big box stores the quality goes south. Check with the dealer on this.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You need to order and install the transaxle mounting bracket kit PN 125255. They beefed up the metal thickness to stop the flexing and breaking the brackets. The main center bracket the attaches at the axles is now a lot thicker, is three bolt to frame design along a backer plate.

Also the Red Dog version of this mower also has the same problem. The only difference is the Red Dog is red and the Hustler is yellow painted.
I want to make a correction here. I keep calling the Big Dog mower a Red Dog. Just how I how I remember them. Sorry calling by the wrong name.
I just install the third kit this year on customer mowers.

1718622257179.png
In the bottom center of the image you seen that third mounting hole. Installation instruction calls for drilling a 7/16 hole when it need to 3/8 to match the 3/8 screws.
No point making the hole bigger than necessary. Also this can be installed without removing if you are resourceful enough which is what I did on the last mower but still needed the jack stands and hydraulic jack. Also you can't simply to the jack stands at the rear as the engine guard is attached using the same screws as the rear transaxle brackets; hence, you raise the motor on the jack and replace the rear brackets first then you can use the jack stands for clearance on the rest of the job as the wheels has to be removed.

Last edited:

packy51

Threads
Kool...thanks.
Yes, I did find this very kit on Amazon and will order. I'm glad my 2019 at least has the newer and thicker crossmember supporting the hydros. It would be interesting to find out how the newer Hustlers are built now that Hustler was sold to Stanley Black and Decker. Stanley (tools) was an excellent company but Black and Decker made cheap crap. This machine replaced my 20 yo three wheeler Scag which never gave me any issues until towards the end. Of course, it was a simpler mower with only one hydro. I might go back to Scag if this mower keeps having issues. i got a better trade in deal for my old Scag from the Hustler dealer than the Scag dealer, so I went with the Hustler. That might have been a mistake.

Last edited:

packy51

Threads
Kool...thanks.
Yes, I did find this very kit on Amazon and will order. I'm glad my 2019 at least has the newer and thicker crossmember supporting the hydros. It would be interesting to find out how the newer Hustlers are built now that Hustler was sold to Stanley Black and Decker. Stanley (tools) was an excellent company but Black and Decker made cheap crap. this mach
You need to order and install the transaxle mounting bracket kit PN 125255. They beefed up the metal thickness to stop the flexing and breaking the brackets. The main center bracket the attaches at the axles is now a lot thicker, is three bolt to frame design along a backer plate.

Also the Red Dog version of this mower also has the same problem. The only difference is the Red Dog is red and the Hustler is yellow painted.
I want to make a correction here. I keep calling the Big Dog mower a Red Dog. Just how I how I remember them. Sorry calling by the wrong name.
I just install the third kit this year on customer mowers.

View attachment 68961
In the bottom center of the image you seen that third mounting hole. Installation instruction calls for drilling a 7/16 hole when it need to 3/8 to match the 3/8 screws.
No point making the hole bigger than necessary. Also this can be installed without removing if you are resourceful enough which is what I did on the last mower but still needed the jack stands and hydraulic jack. Also you can't simply to the jack stands at the rear as the engine guard is attached using the same screws as the rear transaxle brackets; hence, you raise the motor on the jack and replace the rear brackets first then you can use the jack stands for clearance on the rest of the job as the wheels has to be removed.
I checked out this kit and my model # isn't listed. my model number is 938670 which is higher than all listed models. Maybe, this is for older SD Raptors. It might fit or it might not depending on any changes Hustler might have made with 2019 model

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According to parts look-up for your model, it uses the 125255 kit.
1718638195179.png