Screeching noise when turning on blades of Turf Tracer HP

dotsonlawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Screeching noise when turning on blades of Turf Tracer HP
Was mowing through some thick grass today and still have the mulching kit on from fall on my 48 inch Turf Tracer HP. The grass was wet and the blades came to a stop. Before I could kick the blades off smoke started coming from underneath and it now screeches everytime i push the blade engage forward. It seems to cut fine, maybe a little slower blade speed though. Any idea what part this would be from?

Thanks,
Jacob

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LawnWorld...
Sounds like a belt slipped (check the tensioner spring) and you could have scorched a pulley and possibly roasted the belt. Give everything a good look over....
You 'may' need to replace a belt ... :smile:KennyV

dotsonlawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny, I appreciate it. What's the best way to tell if the pulley is scorched? The metal was very shiny when I checked it out after the day of work, I'd say it is time for a new set of belts anyway.

WELCOME to LawnWorld...
Sounds like a belt slipped (check the tensioner spring) and you could have scorched a pulley and possibly roasted the belt. Give everything a good look over....
You 'may' need to replace a belt ... :smile:KennyV

Bomba

Threads
I went thru some tall grass on mine yesterday and the blades slowed right down, like they were under pressure. I turned the mower off (I have a 60" Pioneer) and quickly got out my trimmer and cut down the tall stuff to a height I could then cut with the mower deck at 4.75 inches. Scarsdale the hell out of me lol!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
.. What's the best way to tell if the pulley is scorched? The metal was very shiny when I checked it out after the day of work, I'd say it is time for a new set of belts anyway.

It will look discolored, and may have flat spots burnt into it... you can dress them up a little with fine (300 grit) sandpaper, in the v grove... check all the pulleys... :smile:KennyV