Scotts built by JDeere--engine swap

markmarkscott

Forum Newbie
Threads
I scored an older Scotts which they say was a John Deere builder. Single Briggs was blown. And not included in the sale. I installed a twin 18hp Briggs.

Issue---

There is a red and white wire coming from under the flywheel. I assume it is the alternator.
Off the dash of this Scotts is a red and yellow connection and a white and yellow.

I get the engine to run. Putting the yellow fire (carb kill) to ground or to the white connection on the yellow/white the engine quits.

Where do I hook up the red and white from the motor? To the red and yellow connection?

Couple of links to show the mower with the electrical. Pic 1, color is washed out. See the jumper? That is the yellow kill wire connected to a white wire which leads back to the dash.

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Here is the wires, you can see the two connections which I assumed went to the single Briggs motor. I jump the red from the flywheel to the red? And the white to the yellow on these connections?

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I am getting ready to install the deck. The rear seat connection is jumped.

Thanks, just trying to wire this baby up.

mullins87

Threads
If you have the one wire coming from the alternator, then it is internally regulated. That means you can hook that wire directly to the battery positive if you so choose. On the two that I've rewired, I hooked that wire to the battery side of the starter solenoid. If your abilities are beyond you needing this explanation, then forgive me, maybe someone else might come away with something. There should be two sets of studs on the solenoid, two large ones and two small ones. The small ones could be studs or they could be male spade terminals. One of those small terminals will always be hot and will supply power to the ignition switch, while the other will only be hot when you turn the key to the start position. Connect the alternator wire to the always hot terminal. Now, if you happen to have one of those that only has one small terminal, then you'll need to connect the alternator wire to the battery side with the large terminal.

Of those two that I've rewired, one ran for years before the rest of the mower gave up the ghost, and the other has been in use for four years now without any issues.

mullins87

Threads
I've looked at those two pics, man you've got a mess of wires going on. Really you only need three to five wires to run that engine. Other than the obvious large gauge cable from the battery to the solenoid, then from the solenoid to the starter, you need a wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid, one from the ignition switch to the magneto(kill wire), and one from the alternator to the battery side of the solenoid. That's three, if your engine has a fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb, then you will have one or two wires for that. If it's a one wire, then that will go to the ignition switch and connect to the "run" position. If there are two wires, then one will be a ground and the other will go to the ignition switch.

If you are wanting to get rid of all those safety interlocks, and I do not recommend it, you can clear out the vast majority of those wires. All that would be left are headlights if you want them and an electric PTO if your mower has that.

markmarkscott

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually I am pretty savvy on these riders. As a hobby I collect and play with them on my acreage.

The previous engine was a single cylinder. Which did not come with this rider. I swapped in an 18 hp twin I had laying around.

I can get this to run. I put a volt meter on the battery and see it climb from 12.7 to over 13.8 with a moderate engine RPM.

It's just the two wires from the under the flywheel. I have the red wire jumped to a red wire coming from the ignition key. It is the white wire that also runs up under the flywheel that has me baffled. If that is a ground, then I need to jump it to a ground.

I don't have the deck installed yet. So I am not certain on the safety switches yet. Once I get the deck installed, I will hook up the yellow wire which is the kill wire to something that goes dead when the key is OFF.

I know the picture looks like a mess but most of it is existing wires including a 15amp fuse and a relay.

mullins87

Threads
The two carb wires I noted would not go up under the flywheel, they would go to the float bowl. So you have two wires coming from under the flywheel? I personally have never seen this on a Briggs. I would not assume the second one is a ground. Put a voltmeter on it as well. This is just a thought, but could that second wire be used to run the lights? I know on some of those tractors the headlights obviously are run off the alternator as they will dim and brighten with engine speed.

markmarkscott

Forum Newbie
Threads

mullins87

Threads
Without pulling the fan shroud off and physically tracing those wires, we can only assume they both go to the alternator. Have you probed the second wire while the engine was running to see if it is live?