Scotts 25/54 drive belt

Eddie412

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Scott’s 25/54 keeps throwing the drive belt. Pulleys all look straight aligned and snug.
many ideas before just replacing pulleys?
Anybody else have this issue?
Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will have to provide us with a little more info before we can offer good suggestions.
1. Model and serial numbers for your unit?
2. When was the last time you replaced the belt?
3. Did you use an OEM belt or an aftermarket belt?
4. What was the belt number you used?
5. When did this start occurring, suddenly or over time?
6. Have you taken off the pulleys and checked to make sure the bearings are good?
After we received this info we will have a better idea as to tell you how we suggest you proceed. Until then anyone would just be throwing wild ideas as to what is going on.

Eddie412

Forum Newbie
Threads
SN M02554S032566
Model Scott’s 2554
This is a new belt
Belt M136928 (1/2X108)
Occurred suddenly, that’s why I got a new belt
Checked all Pulleys bearings all seem tight and straight
Thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you checked the bearings by grabbing them, checking for play, and spinning them, you are making a DYI mistake. You need to remove them and then check with your hand on the bearing. I can‘t count the times where I’ve found bad pulleys after the customer said he checked them and they were fine. When you said pulleys are aligned, is that by sight or with a straight edge? Did you check the tensioner are for play, and slopp? It should never move up and down.

Eddie412

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you checked the bearings by grabbing them, checking for play, and spinning them, you are making a DYI mistake. You need to remove them and then check with your hand on the bearing. I can‘t count the times where I’ve found bad pulleys after the customer said he checked them and they were fine. When you said pulleys are aligned, is that by sight or with a straight edge? Did you check the tensioner are for play, and slopp? It should never move up and down.
I have the pulleys off and checked. Very little play, maybe a few thousandy. Just line of sit on pulley alignment as there is some other stuff in the way for straight edge.
if this is not a common problem I will reattach pulleys remove stuff in the way to check alignment with straight edge
Thank you

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the trans mounting brackets and front support bracket to make sure the trans is not rocking back and forth and throwing the belt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Where does the drive belt throw off, as that can pinpoint the problem area
1) clutch pulleys , usually excessive wear on the pivot
2) trans pulley , debris stuck in the V of the groove, belt retainers loose or missing , brackets as per previous post
3) front pulley , keepers missing , crud in the V groove

When does the belt jump off ?
immediately you declutch ? when you start to move, when you are moving , under load, on the over run ??????

Eddie412

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is hard to tell west belt jumps off as there are guards that prevent it a certain ploins ant the x-mission fan.
no clutch as it is hydrostatic.
as soon as I engage drive both forward and /or reverse
Vs are clean keeper is there
Thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a clutch
It tightens the belt when you are driving and slacken the belt when you brake
Get a parts break down .
FWIW When I get one of these problems I clamp a GO-Pro to the underside of the mower so I can see where the belt jumps off when I mow
And there are no covers over the drive belt just some pins to retain the belt when it is loose ( clutch/brake pedal down )
The covers are on the DECK belt to protect the belt from debris but mostly to protect stupid peoples feet from the pulleys