Scag Turf Tiger battery not charging

JW 1

Threads
I have a Scag Turf Tiger with a 26 Kohler EFI engine. The engine is relatively new however, I have changed the stator regulator and key switch.
The battery isn’t charging.
All fuses check out ok and the gauge on the console shows on the low side not charging while running.
The battery shows battery voltage at WOT.
The regulator shows 38 VAC from the stator. The DC wire shows no voltage. When moving the test lead to battery negative there’s no reading. However when moving the positive lead to battery positive I get battery voltage.
The positive circuit is open.
All wires look good, no burns corrosion or anything abnormal.
Any ideas what to look for next?

Also, everything work except for charging the battery. All parts are OEM from the dealer.
Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So let me confirm what you are saying. If the red lead is on the regulator B+ terminal and the black is on battery negative you have 0 volts. If the red lead is on regulator B+ and the black is on battery positive you have 12V. If that is true then the issue is someplace between regulator and were that wire goes. Could go to the battery side of the starter solenoid or to the keyswitch. If the red lead is on the regulator B+ and the black on battery negative and you have 12 volts then I would be making sure the ground strap that goes from one of the regulator screws to a engine screw is present.

You can also connect a wire from the B+ terminal on the regulator to the B+ terminal of the battery and then check battery voltage.

JW 1

Threads
So let me confirm what you are saying. If the red lead is on the regulator B+ terminal and the black is on battery negative you have 0 volts. If the red lead is on regulator B+ and the black is on battery positive you have 12V. If that is true then the issue is someplace between regulator and were that wire goes. Could go to the battery side of the starter solenoid or to the keyswitch. If the red lead is on the regulator B+ and the black on battery negative and you have 12 volts then I would be making sure the ground strap that goes from one of the regulator screws to a engine screw is present.

You can also connect a wire from the B+ terminal on the regulator to the B+ terminal of the battery and then check battery voltage.
Ok I’ll check that as soon as I get home!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also if the charge wire goes to the starter solenoid you might have it on the starter side of the solenoid.

JW 1

Threads
Also if the charge wire goes to the starter solenoid you might have it on the starter side of the solenoid.
Is there a diagram of how the wires should connect? There are 2 posts and a single wire that connects like a spade connector.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Usually someone can look up and post the wiring diagram when the OP actually post the real model number from the equipment serial number tag. Multiple years with changes to wiring on different versions of the same mower line.

JW 1

Threads
Model: STT61V-26CH-EFI Serial number: K1902835

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF that rectifier is mounted to the plastic blower housing check that the body has continuity to ground .
Kohler like to use a brass strip to connect the rectifier mounting screw to the bolt that holds the blower housing on and thus ground.
These fall off & also crack so there is no ground
The rectifier has 4 connection AC AC DC+ DC- .
Unless all are there, nothing back to the battery .
When I service one I always make 2 wires to connect both rectifier mounting screws to the engine to ensure a good ground.

JW 1

Threads
It is possible I’m not getting ground. I’ll have to double check when I get back.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
The DC wire shows no voltage.
You need to figure out why the DC wire shows no voltage. It should always at least show battery voltage. Right now, you have no connection to the battery, and you can't charge a battery you're not connected to. The violet-colored wire runs from the B+ terminal of the regulator/rectifier directly to the same post on the starter solenoid that the positive battery cable connects to. That is it's connection to the battery. That violet wire has a 30-amp fuse in it that could be blown, or it could just be a bad connection. Either way, it's a fairly short wire with a fuse holder in it and could easily be replaced if need be.