scag stt wants to go forward and backwards at the same time

Dwellonroof

Threads
  • / scag stt wants to go forward and backwards at the same time
Turf Tiger started left hydro starrted to whine and now is very jumpy even in neutral position.
Anyone with ideas???

Dwellonroof

Threads
well after fooling with it it seems to only like reverse and is sort of stuck in it and can go backwards if I take it real easy. I'm thinking wheel motor.

Lawn Addict
Threads
How is the fluid level & color ?

Dwellonroof

Threads
The level is up where it should be and the color isn't bad so I stuck a magnet in the reservoir and it came out full of metal shavings. Also I noticed when in the operator station the left drive stick wont pull fully to the rear without a lot of force and when I start the engine it stays engaged in reverse but if I up the rpm the left wheel keeps going into forward and reverse repeatedly.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The level is up where it should be and the color isn't bad so I stuck a magnet in the reservoir and it came out full of metal shavings. Also I noticed when in the operator station the left drive stick wont pull fully to the rear without a lot of force and when I start the engine it stays engaged in reverse but if I up the rpm the left wheel keeps going into forward and reverse repeatedly.
Uh oh! Metal shavings in the reservoir is not a good sign.
Is your machine still under warranty?
I hope that there has been regularly scheduled fluid and filter changes done.
Changing the fluid and filters will be fairly expensive and may or may not save that hydro. It could prevent the same problem on the right side. Look for metal in the right reservoir also.

Dwellonroof

Threads
Machine is older (2015) maintenance has been kept up but the machine shares the same reservoir and I'm hoping the filter caught any other particles.
I now believe it is the pump.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to remove every hydraulic line and flush them and then pull the pump and motors and check them. Does the system have a separate filter? You have one bad wheel motor for sure.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Machine is older (2015) maintenance has been kept up but the machine shares the same reservoir and I'm hoping the filter caught any other particles.
I now believe it is the pump.
@Hammermechanicman has the best advice. A shared reservoir can mean that the other pump has been contaminated.

Dwellonroof

Threads
You need to remove every hydraulic line and flush them and then pull the pump and motors and check them. Does the system have a separate filter? You have one bad wheel motor for sure.
Do you think the pump and wheel motor are bad?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
One wheel motor for sure. Metal shavings in a hydraulic system is a recipie for real bad news unless every part of the system is flushed cleaned and checked. If it is a single pump and 2 wheel motor system and shavings are in the reservoir if you are lucky and there is a spin on filter between the resivoir and pump and the shavings came from the left wheel motor and the filter stopped the shavings from getting into the pump. If no filter you are probably screwed as the shavings will be in the pump. If the wheel motors have filters you might get lucky and kept shavings out of the right motor. Won't know unless you pull things to check them out.