Scag mower with 25hp Kohler

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, always had a bunch of customers trying to wiggle out of a new $180 Kohler starter, but I never went there, as I hate wasting hours of my time for someone
trying to figure it out for free... Just me I guess.....

Of course here, surely one of these guys will lay it out. I will however be glad to help you fix it as it was originally......

Tradecents

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased the solenoid- all I want to do is hook it up as it would have been originally.

thanks
Larry

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well with the other crap you mentioned, they tore into the scag harness, so we need to look at that....

But why not put up both model/spec/serial numbers off of both the engine and the mower???? It would be helpful!!!

Tradecents

Forum Newbie
Threads
STT61025ch SN 4310596
motorcch25s
SKH725u1g2ra
SN 2834309901

the only wire that they tapped into was the small wire to solenoid.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well you will have to replace the solenoid, then repair the wiring according to this schematic. I would call who sold you the solenoid, they should have talked you into
buying the complete starter assy., see if you can bring the solenoid back.

Attachments

• images_partstree_com skag.gif
    images_partstree_com skag.gif
    38.7 KB · Views: 9

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you will have to replace the solenoid, then repair the wiring according to this schematic. I would call who sold you the solenoid, they should have talked you into
buying the complete starter assy., see if you can bring the solenoid back.

Haven't checked the price lately but a couple of years ago the solenoid was $171 and the complete starter with a new solenoid was $189. $16 difference. It isn't worth the extra time it takes to change the solenoid for the $16.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a pic of a starter that should be what he had originally. I am curious about what his label "solenoid" is, as well as what the mower as he found it. The solenoids
on these models involve a bendix/plunger etc....

I was real curious to see how they tried to get around replacing the whole starter assy., and if it worked!!!!

Attachments

• DSCN3202.jpg
    DSCN3202.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 11

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Top terminal would have the big red cable from the battery, the other terminal would have the wire from the keyswitch!!!

Tradecents

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks that is the picture of it. It was just minus the top terminal which was burned off. It just had a regular solenoid- the kind that is separate not part of the starter and a push button switch. You just pushed the button and the solenoid on the starter clicked in then just turned the key like normal and started it.

Should just be 2 wires then that go to the starter and solenoid. Big red on top terminal and key switch to the small terminal?

thanks for the work

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, I thought that they had "morphed" a regular mower solenoid onto this setup. I have never tried anything like that, so I have no idea if it works or not....
To fix it right, you need to "Fix it right!!!"