Scag Liberty 48" Idler pulley has a slight bit of movement when wiggling it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Scag Liberty 48" Idler pulley has a slight bit of movement when wiggling it.
It is Part # 483422, approx 1/18" side play, normal or not ? Only the one pulley.. May be beginning of very slight noise down there.

Only has 58 hours on it.

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
It is Part # 483422, approx 1/18" side play, normal or not ? Only the one pulley.. May be beginning of very slight noise down there.

Only has 58 hours on it.
Any play in a pulley is not normal. It should be tight and sound smooth when you spin it. Just keep an eye on it and replace as needed.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I tend to pay more attention to smoothness when turning and noise than I do slop. Have had too many pulleys that wiggle, thinking the bearing is going bad, and find that the new OEM pulley has more slop then the one you are thinking about replacing.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tend to pay more attention to smoothness when turning and noise than I do slop. Have had too many pulleys that wiggle, thinking the bearing is going bad, and find that the new OEM pulley has more slop then the one you are thinking about replacing.
I will check all 3 idlers for smoothness & noise soon..

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Normally I will kick the deck on and just listen for unusual noises as well as feel for vibrations. I have had decks basically run silent with only the blade air noise, but makes your feet feel numb in seconds. Or if you feel vibration or noise then start looking further. Some spindles and idler pulleys will create a whirring sound and create a vibration that can be felt through the deck when stun fast but otherwise feel and sound normal at a slow turn. Others will sound normal but will have rough spots when turned slowly,

Lawn Addict
Threads
Great advice, so far smooth, & no feet numbness, But my feet have some numbness off the mower. but will pay closer attention everything since you added to your advice..

What got me looking as I was blowing it off was, I thought I heard a slight bit of new sound. I'm gonna drop off belt & spin them all soon.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you seeing these idler pulleys going bad early on newer machines ? Mine is 2021

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Deck bearings both in the idlers and the spindles seem to be hit and miss as far as longevity. Had a Yardman years ago that I had to replace all three deck spindles under warranty on a less than 1 month old mower due to deck vibration from the spindles would make your feet tingle within seconds of kicking on the blades. Don't see as many issues with the idlers on the motion drive belts. So there could be a shockload or maybe even a water contamination issue with the deck bearings.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm still under warranty (5 Year), but paying them to come & get it would be way more than an idler would cost.
So there could be a shockload or maybe even a water contamination issue with the deck bearings.
Certainly not a water contamination issue, as I have never had water near it, not even rain.
And I engage blades at lower mid rpm's then throttle up as my book advises.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Scag Liberty 48" Idler pulley has a slight bit of movement when wiggling it.
Deck bearings both in the idlers and the spindles seem to be hit and miss as far as longevity. Had a Yardman years ago that I had to replace all three deck spindles under warranty on a less than 1 month old mower due to deck vibration from the spindles would make your feet tingle within seconds of kicking on the blades. Don't see as many issues with the idlers on the motion drive belts. So there could be a shockload or maybe even a water contamination issue with the deck bearings.
The motion drive ones here I having to replace a lot is the 2" ones of Hustler ZTRs. Due to their size they are being over sped and grease is vanishing from them so they run dry and destroy the bearings. On these whenever replacing the drive belt the idler should be replaced too.

But as said above idler bearings are hit and miss.