Scag Liberty 48" Idler pulley has a slight bit of movement when wiggling it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Scag Liberty 48" Idler pulley has a slight bit of movement when wiggling it.
So there could be a shockload
Thinking more on it, I have nicked a root on my Maple tree a couple times. Is that the type of shockload you mentioned ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Scag Liberty 48" Idler pulley has a slight bit of movement when wiggling it.
That can be some of the shockloads, but you also need to consider that most idler/bearing pulleys are a cheap 2RS sealed bearing enclosed inside of a dust collector.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good point. Thank You again. Will be having time later this week, to give good inspection & idler pulleys spin w/belt off.

All cutting blades are straight & line up together on all ends. No play I can detect at this time.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
But are they in good condition otherwise. Even new blades are sometime out of balance depending how sensitive your balancer is.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As a side note the reason the bearings have a loose feeling when cold is just that. As they heat up the clearances tighten up. It is the noise, roughness, and extra sloppiest that you got to worry about.

Sometimes it is not even the bearings. I just repaired a JD Z425 deck last week where it was the spacer bushing that was the problem. Someone in the past installed a new idler pulley and assembly it wrong which lead to the bushing hour glassed. So instead a $60 pulley is was $5 bushing.

BTW these companies have gone bonkers on the prices for these parts. I pickup a 3/16 x 1 x 48 piece of metal yesterday and it was $13. But had to have it for a deck project so the customer getting the bill. At least the local price is better than ordering it. No wonder I save every piece of flat and angle iron I come across.

Lawn Addict
Threads
But are they in good condition otherwise. Even new blades are sometime out of balance depending how sensitive your balancer is.
I think so. I cleaned / sharpened & Balanced them. & smooth running.

Lawn Addict
Threads
As a side note the reason the bearings have a loose feeling when cold is just that. As they heat up the clearances tighten up. It is the noise, roughness, and extra sloppiest that you got to worry about.
Did not know that, Thank You.

It is the extra sloppiness that I got concerned about. But I have never checked them like this before.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A bearing that's failing will many times run at a elevated temperature compared to like bearings . You can check the temperature with your hand . Kill it after mowing a few minutes and compare the temp. of all like bearings .

Lawn Addict
Threads
A bearing that's failing will many times run at a elevated temperature compared to like bearings . You can check the temperature with your hand . Kill it after mowing a few minutes and compare the temp. of all like bearings .
Thank U Sir, will do..

Lawn Addict
Threads
A bearing that's failing will many times run at a elevated temperature compared to like bearings . You can check the temperature with your hand .
Thanks, I did that today after mowing a small portion, , All 3 idlers bearings seems similarly warm, but not hot,.,
Kill it after mowing a few minutes and compare the temp. of all like bearings
And the side play was very less noticeable, than when checked cold. Mower ran great.

Last edited: