safety switch ohms out, but bad voltage readings

rigoletto

Threads
Tried to contact my service rep, but he is off this week. Talked to another rep, who I don't have a lot of faith in, and he can find no machines with model number 13A667S188. This is going to make this more difficult. I'm going to call the rep I trust on Monday and give him a try. I do have one question though, do you have a 3 or 4 post solenoid? Reading the posts since I was gone, it is starting to sound like loose ground or corroded connection. As Reynoldston and ILengine said, you have to take your time and go slow, at this point you need to check every connection. My opinion on test lights vs VOM, I use a test light to trace current flow and then the VOM to test components. They are both a valuable part of my tool box.

sorry for delay, rey. just got back into it and i do have a 3 post solenoid (one tiny clip on orange/white wire going to bottom blade terminal to solenoid. On the model #- go figure- mine is nowhere in the records. sheesh.

Anyway, I gotta give yous an update- I went ahead and ordered a safety switch for the clutch (cheap) cuz old one didnt ohm out . popped it in today, and hurray, now Im at least getting voltage to the tiny lead wire to the solenoid!!!!!!! But, lets not celebrate the new year yet cuz the V I get is with wire disconnected. When I snap it back on the solenoid clip and test, no voltage on the wire NOR the terminal. hey, were getting closer.

Going on advice of members above, looks like a ground is maybe bad at the solenoid (?) and interfering with the voltage reading Im expecting at that point?? Sound plausible? Im gonna cheak ground connection there for rust/dirt one more time (yes, I did that before- maybe not good enough........

thaks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would run a ground wire from the solenoid frame to a good engine or chassis ground. That's the reason I ask about a 3 or 4 terminal solenoid.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the solenoid and have a good look.
Some have a hidden earth on one of the mountng bolts while others simply have the entire case earth.
Give it a good clean up the run a jumper from the - on you battery to the earth point on the solenoid and try again.
There is a funny divide between the calculator/ computer at school generation & the slide rule generation.
The former are always worried about the actual numers ie what voltage I call it digital thinking.
the latter just look at function & connections , I call them the analogue thinkers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know if you are calling me an analog or digital thinker, but I know what I am talking about. I said the same thing you are trying to say in 40 less words. Even though I may be an old fart, I can tell you that 99% of today's 3 terminal small engine solenoids are internally ground to the case. I can tell by your posts that you are very knowledgable in the small engine repair business, but your posts are so wordy, that the average guy cannot tell which direction your are leading them. Read my signature.

rigoletto

Threads
Yahooooo!!! Figured it out! It was the loose connection at the neg batt terminal!!! Sheesh- I had finger tightened it when I put it back after recharging it and forgot to tighten with pliers!! man, almost bought a new solenoid. Big thanks to all you guys here for the persistent support!!!!! (I did need the ign switch and one safety switch though, those wernt "wasted")

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear you found and solved the problem. Reynoldston and I both know how good it feels to track down an electrical gremlin. Now we'll start turning the electrical threads over to you. One question, did you have a cold one after you found it?

rigoletto

Threads
Glad to hear you found and solved the problem. Reynoldston and I both know how good it feels to track down an electrical gremlin. Now we'll start turning the electrical threads over to you. One question, did you have a cold one after you found it?

LOL!! Not so fast, Riv- Just cuz I figured out one gremlin doesnt make me a expert- right??They say a little knowledge can be dangerous. (Whats a "cold one"???)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Guess I jumped the gun, can't call you an expert yet, if you don't know what a "cold one" is. Those of us who chase these gremlins, after we find one (especially the tough ones) like to sit back, look at our solution and try to etch it in our brain for future reference. We have found that a libation (cold one) helps in the etching process. Does not always work, but the process is enjoyable.