Safety Gadgets for Ride-on Lawn Mower Operators

adan

Threads
I read somewhere in this forum that wearing protective glasses is important when operating the ride-on lawn mower. What other safety gadgets are necessary? A list of safety gadgets would help a lot of newbies.

Twinkle

Threads
Protecting your eyes from things that may fly up when you are mowing is inportant, as you mentioned. But don't forget your head needs to be shielded too, so I am planning to buy a hard hat, along with steel capped footwear. These are the things that are recommended here in the UK.

briggs

Threads
your eyes for sure safety boots is a good one also

Mr.McGinty

Threads
I wonder if there should be some kind of training course for people to take before they buy a ride-on mower. It could cover this kind of thing along with general user tips and let you practice things like balance. I've never used one but have driven an ATV and that was pretty hairy at times!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A small splash of common sense will go a long way in operating about any mower... They are not that difficult to understand... Get one and within half an hour you will be a master...KennyV

Rose

Threads
Steel caped shoes are recommended, but I think just using your common sense works much better. We always wear a hat of some sort, but it is usually because it is sunny when we are cutting the grass.

Both my husband and I wear glasses, but we still put safety goggles on over those. Actually now we always wear our safety goggles when using any of the electrical stuff. Leaf Blowers, Electric trimmers, and weed-whackers.

rmancini

Threads
My hearing isn't all that good anymore. To keep it from getting worse, I use Sound Attenuators (Mickey Mouse Ears). I have a few pairs left-over from my flight deck days.
Rich

noma

Threads
Hay Adan

I would think pants on your legs would be right up there to ,so you didn't get hit with something that fly out of the grass shut that could hit your leg because that hurt i have done that one before. So no shorts while mowing. And i'm with the rest of you common sense too, that goes a long way.

Hershey

Threads
I think that applies whether or not you use a ride on or a traditional walk behind mower. Things can fly up pretty high or at an angle and cause some nasty damage. I believe in complete caution and protection.