RZT No drive. Good pto. One wheel spins by hand. Other locked.

Garden108

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / RZT No drive. Good pto. One wheel spins by hand. Other locked.
Starts great. Engine runs strong. Blades work when engaged (pto pulled up). Won't move forward or backward (steering bars pulled in then pushed forward or pulled backward). There is no wheel motion at all in response to steering bars. Yes, the parking break is off (released downward). Right-side rear wheel moves if forced (manually rolls forward or backward), left-side rear wheel does not move at all (feels and sounds "locked"). Disengaging transmission bypass rods on both sides doesn't change anything, still one stuck and one free wheel. I don't think the break gears are stuck, but I could be wrong about that. Have had to drag it a few feet in the past. A stuck wheel has happened before but it fixed itself. Once it didn't drive for a
minute, then suddenly fixed itself. The stubbornly not engaging forward or reverse is a new development. Rocking forward and back and disengaging then re-engageing the transmission bypass rods doesn't help. What's next? How can I fix this so I can drive? All belts look good and are tight.

Thanks in advance!!

Kohler Courage
Cub Cadet, RZT 50"
Model: 17AA5B7P756
SERIAL: 1F026G 20195
Manufacture: 6/2006

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / RZT No drive. Good pto. One wheel spins by hand. Other locked.
Do you hear any change in the sound of the engine when you move the sticks ?
If not then suspect the drive belt to be broken or jumped off one of the pulleys.
So get the back up in the air and put some stout jack stands under the body as there is not much space for you should it come crashing down.
Have some one start then engine & work the sticks look for the pulleys turning, the shaft underer the pulleys turning and listen for the engine loading up.
While up in the air check the brake rack & gear wheel
Sounds very much like the brake release has failed and you have stripped the teeth of one wheel & the other is holding firm .
Only been under one of them so can not emember if there is a mechanical interlock to prevent driving away with the brakes on or if it only has the electrical one that cuts the engine off.