RZT 50 won't turn over, but starter engages

jarheadtx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an RZT 50 mower (model # 17AI2ACP056) that will not start. When I turn the key the starter clicks, but does not turn over. I've replace the starter, starter solenoid, spark plugs, oil change, air filter, fuel filter, and it has a brand new fully charged battery.

Any ideas on what I should check next?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an RZT 50 mower (model # 17AI2ACP056) that will not start. When I turn the key the starter clicks, but does not turn over. I've replace the starter, starter solenoid, spark plugs, oil change, air filter, fuel filter, and it has a brand new fully charged battery.

Any ideas on what I should check next?

Have you tried to jump across the solenoid?
You will need a helper to sit in the seat and turn the key while you place a screw driver across the main terminals on the solenoid. watch out...it can generate a lot of heat in a hurry. Just see if it will turn over the engine.

BigNutz

Threads
I have no idea what your engine looks like, but I'm going to guess it has overhead valves. I know this sounds crazy, but all you need to do is adjust your valve clearances to the factory specs and the problem will magically go away. What's likely happening is your valves have come out of adjustment just enough to cause your cylinder compression not to release below what the starter can turn. Try it out and let me know how it works.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
SOP
Run a pair of jumpers from the battery directly to the starter.
+ on the bolt the solenoid wire attaches to and the - to a good close earth , I like to use the oil drain plug.
Don't go
Then remove the spark plug (S).
Still don't go
Try turning the engine by hand.
Turns only a part revolution in either direction - pull the fly wheel something is lodged between the magnets & the engine.
Turns over OK then adjust the valve lash as previously mentioned.

If it ran fine with the 2 jumpers, try it again with just the earth jumped.
The wires take a pile of abuse, damp acid grass cuttings , oil , fuel & plain moisture
And that is before we think about vibrations loosening connectins & breaking strands of wire.