Rusty Gas Tank

EightWide

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think the sealer is a good idea. Ive had mcys that were fixed that way. A new tank would be my choice. If you leave it full to the cap in the spring it wont rust. Gas don.t keep so in fall dump &dispose or filter it into your car. Eightwide

Attachments

• 14454359970204521377.jpeg
    14454359970204521377.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0

EightWide

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think the sealer is a good idea. Ive had mcys that were fixed that way. A new tank would be my choice. If you leave it full to the cap in the spring it wont rust. Gas don.t keep so in fall dump &dispose or filter it into your car. Eightwide
.sorry.I was thinking blower.. Just reverse the seasons 8W

Sentinel

Threads
Normally I'd expect to remove any existing finish and sand before refinishing a rusty piece of metal. Obviously that's not practical with a fuel tank ---but what kind of prep work can you do before refinishing?
I let a quantity of rust remover inside the tank overnight. Then I flushed that out with diesel. Looks like the rust is gone but it is not shiny inside or anything like that. Scrub cadet suggested I seal the inside of the tank with Por 15 sealer. I went to the hardware store and asked for that or any sort of metal sealant they had. They looked at me like I was from outer space. They just don't have stuff here like in the States. I can order stuff through an online company called Lazada here in the Philippines and it does cod delivery. So far I haven't found anything like a gas tank or metal sealer for the inside of a tank but I'm going to keep looking. My search on Lazada came up with 74,000+ possibles. I ordered my carb springs through Lazada. Thanks.

Sentinel

Threads
.sorry.I was thinking blower.. Just reverse the seasons 8W
That's ok, we don't have seasons as such here in the Philippines. Just Hot, hot, hot, and hot.
How about silicone sealant, I can get that through Lazada. Although, I don't know if it will be liquid I could use inside a gas tank. Thanks.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Threads
What do you all think about using a radiator sealant? I can get that over here. I checked Lazada for parts like gas tanks for the Briggs but all they carry are just the maintenance stuff like carb springs and carbs. Thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Got to be careful of what you use to clean the tank as some have foam and/or plastic baffles. The two 3 quart horizontal tanks that I looked up are now NLA. NO wonder they have gone there after they reached $130 each. I got only one new one sitting the shelf left myself. Customers started balking on purchases after they hit $100.

The problem with rusting tank is that the fuel cup at the top of the tank tends to rust through too making the change out necessary.

seattlepioneer

Threads
I wonder if two or three coats of spray primer would work to seal the metal? I'm imagining that would get into the various nooks and crannies of the tank.

seattlepioneer

Threads
What causes the inside of a tank to rust out?

I'd presume that would require long term exposure to water. Would that be caused by long time condensation in the tank or what?

Sentinel

Threads
What causes the inside of a tank to rust out?

I'd presume that would require long term exposure to water. Would that be caused by long time condensation in the tank or what?
Well, this island I live on is very very humid. I never left the mower out and always put it inside my workshop. I have noticed that some of the tools I bought here in the Phils are also rusting out and they are inside. I believe they were made from cheap materials and not coated. During the rainy season, it rains constantly 24 hours a day sometimes for days on end. This is the jungle!
I didn't see any baffles in the tank and I also felt for them.
If I can't get any consensus on using the radiator sealer I will probably try the primer for metal. I can't do anything now though until my carb parts show up. Thanks