Rusty Gas Tank

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here even some my tools at are in there cases start to rust over time even though in my shop in the tool storage boxes and it is not all that humid either except during the cold winter months. Being in the Philippines surrounded by salt water on all sides it is going to cause rust even on the best tools. about all you can do is to keep them cleaned and oiled to fight the rust.

Whatever you use will need to be gasoline and oil resistant. Gasoline does contains small amounts of oil mainly because it is made from oil.

Sentinel

Threads
Here even some my tools at are in there cases start to rust over time even though in my shop in the tool storage boxes and it is not all that humid either except during the cold winter months. Being in the Philippines surrounded by salt water on all sides it is going to cause rust even on the best tools. about all you can do is to keep them cleaned and oiled to fight the rust.

Whatever you use will need to be gasoline and oil resistant. Gasoline does contains small amounts of oil mainly because it is made from oil.
Yes, that sounds about right. I have been thinking about just keeping the tank full of gas. I don't remember where I heard that from but as long as it is full of gas the tank won't rust. Is that likely to be true? What do you think? Thanks for the reply.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What causes the inside of a tank to rust out?

I'd presume that would require long term exposure to water. Would that be caused by long time condensation in the tank or what?
ethanol aids in the corrosion process too, but too, it does attract water/moisture